BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Riding in company
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my first observations about this new bike is that there is a lot of wind noise. Really a lot, and I didn't remember that from my days on my Bonnie. Then I read that the noise is from windscreen-generated turbulence. I tried standing on the pegs to put my head in clean air and things went really quiet. Winter may not be the best time to do the experiment, but I wonder if a lower, so-called "sport" screen might be quieter than the stock.

Another benefit of a smaller screen would probably be more wind on my chest. I remember that I used to get enough enough breeze at full chat to float my torso; I could just hang there with no weight on my wrists....I wouldn't mind getting that back. Please teach me about windscreens. Thanks, Bill

·
No bogey's twist wrist
619 Posts
windshield noise

You are right on about the windshield noise, for the summer I put the Ztech short dark on my GT and it was super quiet with my Arai helmet. As it got colder lately I put the GT windshield back on, could not believe the noise! I had bought a parabellum from a guy on the site and put that on, it was a little taller than the GT and the noise is diminished a lot, probably as quiet as the Ztech. I will use the parabellum for the winter and Ztech for the summer. Rode it tonight should be around 40 when I go home great riding weather.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Wind Noise

Ditto the effectiveness of the Ztechnik sport screen, especially the one with the "double bubble" shape. I also have a '99 Triumph Tiger and did the same modification by buying the Triumph accessory, wind noise and buffeting is eliminated....yes more wind on my chest but very manageable.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Interesting, because my '03 Honda CBR954 was much quieter. The wind hit me at chest first. When I picked up my new '04 KRS last week, I noticed immediately the wind hit me higher than my Honda. It was noticeably noisier. Windscreen up or down, no difference. The next day I bought the GT windscreen and found the noise was way more acceptable but not totally diminished. I have been riding with the GT windscreen full up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts