BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Does anyone have any advice concerning scratch removal on the windscreen of a k1200rs? I did it with a movable basketball hoop about 1 min ago. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
518 Posts
It really depends on how deep the scratch is. If you just brushed the hoop against the windshield, there's hope. If the scratch has any real depth (snags a fingernail drawn across it)... not so much.

I've rescued a number of windshields by using increasingly finer grades of automotive paint rubbing compound and an orbital polisher. If you're trying to get rid of a very light scuff, something like "swirl remover" should do the job. If the scratches are little more pronounced, go slightly coarser. When changing grits, change the bonnets, too. Mixing grits isn't a good thing.

Work over a larger area than just the scratch, so the rubbing blends in with the surrounding windshield. Do not use a high speed buffer - it's a good way to make a real mess, with melted plastic.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Plexus, made in California, is a polish designed and manufactured for the aviation industry. Available from automotive retailers it does a great job of polishing out,and hiding scratches depending on how deep they are....... Tinted screens look great

·
Registered
518 Posts
I use Plexus all the time for cleaning the windshield and helmet visors - greatest thing since sliced bread. But, er, as a scratch remover? I think not - what it does seem to do is make the scratches less obvious by "wetting" the surface with some kind of wax.

I haven't tried one, but it occurs to me that a headlight polisher ("make your headlight covers look like new!!") might be a winner here, too.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I've tried Novus stuff in the past and was underwhelmed by the results. But then, I didn't use a buffer, just hand rubbing. And that may well make all the difference.

BTW, when buffing out the windshield, don't forget to protect the underside of the windshield. The windshield will bounce around a bit and it'd be a shame to have a shiny front and a scratched up back to the windshield.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the inputs! I have heard of a product called 303 polishing compound that I am going to try and I will let you guys know the results.

·
Registered
518 Posts
uberbeans1 said:
Thanks for the inputs! I have heard of a product called 303 polishing compound that I am going to try and I will let you guys know the results.
Let us know where you found it - I hear good things about the 303 product line but have never seen it in a store. Maybe I go to the wrong places? :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts