BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Windshield Input?

5K views 23 replies 22 participants last post by  jack69boots 
#1 ·
I just bought a 2004 K1200GT in gray green metallic. I was planning to buy a taller windshield at Cee Bailey's. I'd like thoughts on whether to stick with clear or go with the light green tinted.

#2 ·
Just a thought, but a BIG windshield looks better if it is inconspicuous. You don't want to hide the looks of the bike. Maybe you or someone can photoshop a pic of a big green shield in front of a nice bike. It would probably look like a big painted fingernail.
Don't hide the bike!

#3 ·
mooks005 said:
I just bought a 2004 K1200GT in gray green metallic. I was planning to buy a taller windshield at Cee Bailey's. I'd like thoughts on whether to stick with clear or go with the light green tinted.
I tried a Cee Baily on my GT and returned it. It buffetted like hell at 75mph and the mount finish quality left a lot to be desired.

For touring, I like the Parabellum although its mounting is a bit kludgy as well. In town, I use the stock RS windshield.

I'm 6'1" with a 32" inseam.

#4 ·
Why a bigger screen?

Just a question: why go for a bigger screen? I have spent lots of Euros on previous bikes for alternate (bigger) screens in the quest for a quieter ride.

My experience is, that no matter how big the screen, there is always turbulance (equals noise) and buffeting. What I also found out, is that riding without screen offers a really quiet ride. But then again the sum of all evil always remains the same: then you suffer from cold and/or lots of windpressure when riding fast.

On my RS I found the solution in the form of the Z-technik lower-then-OEM screen. For me (being 6'2'') it offers good windprotection, while keeping the noise down to a reasonable level. Mind you, I never ride without my formfitted earplugs!

Colour is of course of secondary importance. I chose the dark tinted version, which blends nicely with my black RS. (you can see it on my pictures on the GPS-pages)

Good hunting!

Peter

#5 ·
I have one

I have a Cee Baileys +2" clear windshield for my bike. It works perfect...It cuts out alot of windnoise.(more than the stock with the laminer lip) It also cancells the buffeting and makes for a much nicer ride for my pillion.

The down side is the following-

I do belive it's ugly.....even those two little inches really changes the look.......
It gets really hot behind there in the summer-
Cee baileys workmanship is just horrible

but then again in does work.......I'm 6-1 with all the standard GT set up's

#6 ·
PeterPost said:
Just a question: why go for a bigger screen? I have spent lots of Euros on previous bikes for alternate (bigger) screens in the quest for a quieter ride.

My experience is, that no matter how big the screen, there is always turbulance (equals noise) and buffeting. What I also found out, is that riding without screen offers a really quiet ride. But then again the sum of all evil always remains the same: then you suffer from cold and/or lots of windpressure when riding fast.

On my RS I found the solution in the form of the Z-technik lower-then-OEM screen. For me (being 6'2'') it offers good windprotection, while keeping the noise down to a reasonable level. Mind you, I never ride without my formfitted earplugs!

Colour is of course of secondary importance. I chose the dark tinted version, which blends nicely with my black RS. (you can see it on my pictures on the GPS-pages)

Good hunting!

Peter
I use the stock screen in the low position, I would sooner deal with some wind blast to help relieve pressure on the wrists, and avoid the "windsail effect" of an oversize screen. BMW did a pretty good job with the base screen. I have also heard great reports about the Z-technik.

#7 ·
I only had one bike with a screen that really worked. The plastic fairing was wide just ahead of your hands and shaped after wind tunnel testing so rain slipped away nicely at the sides. The screen then had something wide and firm to fasten to on the plastic (actually GRP not ABS) with a practical shallower rake angle unlike the K.

The problem with the K is the front end seems designed as a sport bike, not much structure at the front to take the wind load and the plastic is minimal shaped width at the bars, with bits of plastic afterthought added on early and more recent K's to improve but not solve weather protection.

On my last bike with aftermarket fairing/screen combination I could ride at 70mph wearing a tie, whilst the positive and negative pressure balance would make the botttom half of the tie hang horizontal and stay there. All bugs went over the top and never hit the helmet.

Mind you, at 90mph plus the bike was starting to respond more to wind, than where you steered it and the K arguably is a better looking bike for its narrower front lines.

#8 ·
I have the Z-technik a couple inches taller than stock on my GT. Very nice quality and pleasant to ride up to 80 mph or so. I think it looks very nice (slight gray tint) and operates as well as the stock design. The mounting is not as "detailed" as the stock unit. Z-technik eliminates the stock bushings at each of the mount points and uses only the pins. Works fine though.
Gerry

Happy New Year!

#10 ·
mooks005 said:
I also installed the Z-technic lower shield (tinted). It puts me in clean air and looks good. I did 7,700 miles last July through hot and cold weather. The wind in the hot weather was much appreaciated and in the cold I plugged in the electrics. I'm 5'11".

#11 ·
I think the first response is the best answer to your question.

I've had two Parabellum windshields. The first was a tinted model on an R1150R, the second was a +8, clear on a K1200RS. I always felt the tinted version just made an unattractive windshield even more obvious.

Since you didn't ask for opinions on which windshield to purchase, I'll won't offer one.

#13 ·
You will get about as many answers to that question as there are products out there.

It depends on what you are trying to achieve. If your goal is protection from the elements, and a quieter ride, bigger is probably better. Depending on your height, the largest aftermarket windshields may position your line of sight just over the top edge. That will get you a quieter ride than the stock screen and keep you warmer and drier.

If you are concerned about appearance, and want a clean air flow, the small Ztechnic windshields others have mentioned here is the way to go. It looks great on the bike, and is actually quieter than the stock shield.

I use the short Ztechnic in the summer, and am currently using the largest Parabellum screen in the winter. I tried the large Ztechnic but found it only marginally better that the stock screen. In my opinion the Parabellum is not very attractive, some disagree, but so far it works best.

I have no experience with Cee Baileys or Aeroflow. I've heard a number of people complain about quality on the Cee Baileys screens. From the looks, I'd expect the Aeroflow would be quite effective, but in my opinion, they take first place in the ugly awards.

For reference, I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam.

#14 ·
Laminar Lip

I have 03 GT and for 75 beans from my levi jeans it was the best bang for the buck. It is awesome and makes my ride so quiet I don't need earplugs . I have never had a problem with it coming off even at 130 .
good luck

#16 ·
I have a 2004 GT. I view the windshield as really a device to keep the wind blast off of your torso which equates to less rider fatigue. I wouldn't put a different windshield on my bike. Most aftermarket windshields are aesthetically displeasing. Good luck with your choice and Happy New Year. JCL

#17 ·
I am also 6'2" and I put on a CB +4 and I like it. I got the grey tint, I think it makes the windscreen not as noticable as the green tint of the stock screen. I have not had any problems with the CB screen even at higher speeds.

Here is a shot of the bike with the CB +4 screen on it.

Attachments

#20 ·
UncleRemus said:
Hijack: I'm interested in Ztechnik's tinted short sport screen for the GT, but it's not listed on their website any longer.

Discontinued? Other sources?
It is for the RS but can also be used on the GT....be aware that it doesn't follow the lines of the GT fairing...you may/may not like the look....the BMW RS tinted screen looks good on the GT.

#24 ·
The stock GT screen didn't give me enough air to my helmet on hot days.

On cold days in the high position I was riding in a still pocket of air but that didn't solve the hot days issue.

I went with a tinted stock RS shield and I feel IMHO it is the perfect setup. Sporty yet functional.

It allows enough air to hit my helmet in the summer. In the high position it blocks enough rain and cold air to keep me comfortable, and best of all it looks sportier than the GT shield.

This is a "sport tourer" if I wanted a high shield, I would have bought an LT or an RT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.