BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time member. Posted many many years ago (but can't seem to find any of my posts), then moved onto different bikes, but here I am again with a 2003 K1200RS that I bought locally a couple months ago.

I recently bought an aftermarket windshield for this bike from an eBay seller. Seller said that it fit the K1200RS from 98 thru 03. Shield arrived, and it quickly became apparent to me that it was not only not going to fit, but appears to be from a different bike.

My question is.... does the windshields from a 98/99 fit an 03?

Apologies for the noob question. I'm sure this has probably been asked a million times now.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Lower brackets of shield I just bought, are considerably wider. Body lines do not line up. Appears to be for a totally different bike IMHO, but seller says it was pulled from a 99 K1200RS (auction said it would fit 98-03).

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Interesting. I think I was looking at that same shield on Ebay. I have a 99KRS. I'm not sure of the differences between it and your 03 but I thought they were the same as well. Maybe post a picture directly in front showing it entirely with both shields?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The lower edge of the windshield appears to follow the contour of the headlight well, but nothing else matches.

It's the lower brackets that appear to be more 'off' than anything, being more than 1" wider than stock. I may need to fiddle with those and figure out if maybe he has some brackets flipped or in the wrong position or something.

It's a very nice windshield, but.... odd.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In it's lowest position the 'new' shield has about a 2-1/2" air gap that was previously filled by the OEM shield. That's just really weird too. Unless the manufacturer just figured that the upright would provide the protection. I don't quite understand the thinking behind that.

Attachments

·
Registered
516 Posts
Lower brackets of shield I just bought, are considerably wider. Body lines do not line up. Appears to be for a totally different bike IMHO, but seller says it was pulled from a 99 K1200RS (auction said it would fit 98-03).
If the seller said he pulled it from a 1999, then obviously this is the wrong part for your 2nd generation K1200RS. In 2001 for Europe and Canada, then later in 2002 for USA, BMW changed the front fairing design completely. This has forced a redesign the windshield 2 position adjusting mechanism AND ALSO the windshield AND mounting pivot points.

If the seller listed a 1999 windshield from K1200RS as compatible for anything between 2002-2005 (USA market) the seller mislead you - maybe unknowingly as many are confused about how many changes are in the 2nd generation K1200RS. This windshield will only fit on a 1998-2001 (USA market) or a 1997-2000 (other markets / countries).

IN ADDITION, based on your photo, this appear to be an aftermarket VERY LARGE windshield - was often called the "barn-door" in the K1200RS community. At this moment, I cannot recall the exact name of the company that had manufactured this windshield in the past, but I do recognize the mounting brackets style (screw going thru windshield with rubber bushings) - this is very different mounting system than stock windshield.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Same seller has a seat for sale. Will a seat from a 99 fit my 03?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Same seller has a seat for sale. Will a seat from a 99 fit my 03?
All seats will fit across all K1200RS models / years (1998-2005 for USA) including the 1st gen K1200GT (2003-2005 only). In 2003, when BMW introduced the K1200GT derived model, the seat texture material and padding was improved (still on same seat base of K1200RS). These are more comfortable and can be recognized with very small hump between rider and pillion.

If you are handy with electric mods, you can also take advantage of fact these 1st gen K1200GT seat were heated - some have added home made wiring (with a Switch + Relay) to retrofit the heated seat to their K1200RS.
From MAX-BMW parts fiche, a K1200GT seat: https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/NotesParts/52537685901_1_B.jpg

ALSO, for all K1200RS there was an optional so-called "comfort seat" available (from BMW parts catalog) that had a bit better padding. Both this comfort-seat and the K1200GT mentionned above, improved comfort at the expense of seat height (if your legs are short this can make matter worse - about 1/2 to 1 inch higher).

ALSO, on EBAY you can still find many USED aftermarket K1200RS seat made by SARGEANT and CORBIN.
SARGEANT look from their web site: Sargent Seats - BMW K1200RS / K1200GT 97-05 World Sport Seat

CORBIN look from their web site: Corbin Motorcycle Seats & Accessories | BMW K1200 RS & K1200 GT | 800-538-7035

·
Registered
149 Posts
BMW changed the upper fairing in '02. The windshield had to have been redesigned as well. Go to MAX BMW and open the parts fische. There should be listings for the early K1200RS and the later K1200RS. Look up the windshield part numbers and compare them. Badda-bing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
the original shield has molded in mounting tabs; replacement shields are made from flat stock and need screwed on adapters of metal.

In the '70s Vetter introduced the concept of openings in the lower WS area to allow a smooth flow of air to follow the windscreen and prevent the buffeting that occurs behind the large ws that is sealed to the fairing body. eventually manufacturers caught on to this idea too. Look at the electrically adjusted screen on a K 75, 1100 RT, or the 2 position screen on a K 1200rs ; in the lowest position the ws stylishly meets the fairing, in the raised position an opening develops. Vetter offered pop out vents borrowed from the light aircraft industry, their windshield did not move. Parabellum sold fairings with a large molded in notch in the fairing body below where the ws attached for the same purpose. if your windshield can be mounted but does not line up with the fairing, it may work fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Two things....

One: My K1200RS is actually a 2004, not 2003 as originally stated. Not sure how I got that confused.

Two: I've taken the windshield from the 99, modified the brackets and used different hardware. It's not a perfect fit, but it works quite well.

It's a couple inches taller than stock. I was mainly looking for a spare while I made some mods to my stock shield (which was heavily marred). Figured I'd leave the tall shield on through Winter. Didn't think I'd like it, but after a 275-mile ride earlier this week, I discovered that I actually like it quite a bit. I still look over it, not through it, and it cuts through the wind with virtually no buffeting. The only downside is more wind noise, but I think I can live with it. Good thing, because I kinda screwed up my original windshield. Hehe...

·
Registered
4 Posts
OT

Hi Tom

I'm in Westerville-ish; are there any groups that you're aware of in the general area? I just picked up my 2003 K1200GT and I'm looking for folks to ride with.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OT

Hi Tom

I'm in Westerville-ish; are there any groups that you're aware of in the general area? I just picked up my 2003 K1200GT and I'm looking for folks to ride with.
The groups I hang around with tend to be the the Dayton and Cincinnati areas. I'm not that familiar with the Columbus region activities, unfortunately.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts