BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
When was the last time you cleaned or checked the ventilation for the crankcase?

Hose had a 1mm hole left to be 100% clogged. Oiltrap was filled and when i poked around in it pure water just ran out then the crud, pic show about 1/3 of the crud from the hose.Did not intend to take the airbox off but decided to do it so i could clean then top of the engine before opening up the valvecover for inspection. Glad i did, if this has clogged upp completely, seals would have blown with hard or expensive fixes of oil leaks.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Cleaning, getting a lot of sand and pebbles off the top of the engine. Also cleaning the rubber between airbox and throttlebodies, putting some siliconegrease in them to slow down aging. Also cleaning out the oilresidue in the top of the throttlebodies.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Fitted new springs in the basket, a trial, used 2 yellow hard and 2 slightly softer red springs.
The bolts in backinplate are m10x1 and used orapi 298 threadlocker, can be undone to change springs if needed, torqued the to 30nm. Removed the paint on them beffore fitting. To the left in pic before paint removal, middle after, to the right the 4 oe springs.

Now just to cure for 24 hours before fitting lamellarpack and in the bike.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Clutch is back in the bike after soaking in oil for 24 hours. Began changing timing chain and tensioner and slide rail. Went just fine up until reinstall, the screwholes and guidepin doesent line up, timing is off.
Tried skipping a tooth forward but the timing is equally off in that direction as well. Crank need to be turned, should i fit the gear as in the pic and rotate the engine forward 8normal direction) until it lines up and that will be fine. Or move the gear 1 tooth forward and back the crank until it lines up.

Lost here, manual said nothing about this.......

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hey Mattias. Four hundred four who rebuilds the bmw clutches said do not shim the springs. They will bind. He gets new springs made up so he may provide you with a set. His email is
[email protected]
He rebuilt my clutch and did a first class job

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hey Mattias. Four hundred four who rebuilds the bmw clutches said do not shim the springs. They will bind. He gets new springs made up so he may provide you with a set. His email is
[email protected]
He rebuilt my clutch and did a first class job
Have asked but got no response. Depends on how you shim, pressing things in until it all is solid i guess it will bind. But with the caps i have in mind a small play can be set as the shim is on each end and will be machined to size.

But i have fitted other springs for a trial, right now the trouble is the timing chain and sprocket for it as seen in the post before yours.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Changing brake rotors on the front.
Used a gas torch to carefully heat the post's and bolts, then remove the screw's.
Threads need cleaning and since it is aluminium i like to use a 3 tap set, pre, middle and finish, lessens the risk of damaging the threads or crossthreading.
Cleaned the debree from tapping out with brakecleaner and compressed air.
Screw's were also cleaned, then refitted the new rotors with new bobbins but reused the old screw's, just applied new threadlock on them.
Then just to refit the new parts and torque down to 19nm.
Pad's will be replaced as well, brembo red going in.
Old part's will be saved as spare's, disc's are fine and pad's only have 1 season on them.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Had trouble finding a usable set of piston spreaders that can press all 4 pistons in the caliper at once and also do it with the wheel on the bike and be used to press against when bleeding.
So i built some fast and easy spreaders myself. It's not pretty but they work and that is all that matters.
70x70x8mm steel plates, a m8 screw, an m6 locknut and 2 washers.
One plate drilled and tapped m8, the other drilled 6mm hole. Screw had the tip turned down and threaded m6x1. Put it together.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Radiator fitted again after cleaning, just refill left. also started putting the aux lights back on the bike, will build a new wiringsystem for it and use a new controller for dimming. This time i will add an on/off switch, either a digital or a simple pressbutton, not decided yet. Lights on the forks are dimmed to about 10% power along with dipped beam, applying highs put them on 100% and also lights up the 15w in front of the oilcooler.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Made my own quick disconnect for the fuelline. Aluminium and can be taken apart for replacing o-rings if needed.

Also made the first startup today, sounded horrible the first few secinds as the tensioner was empty. But once filled it was quieter than ever, no rattle coming throttle. And while idling it was quiet and no change in sound with clutch pressed or not. Springs made a difference.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts