BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
You need to drill out the rivets holding the basket together to remove the backingplate and access the springs. Then drill out the holes where the rivets sat. i drilled out and fitted v-coil m10x1 thread inserts. There are people who say to drill and tap m8x1,25 directly in the existing holes, do NOT fall for that one, the diameter of the conical hole in the bigger end is larger than an m8x1,25mm bolt diameter is. A man in spain drilled to 10mm diamter and made steel insert from the inside that are glued, they are then threaded m6x1.

Bolts need to be either 10.9 or 12.9 quality.

You need 18 new bolts for the engine cover. a new gasket for the same,
You need 4 new springs.
I got as much from your prior postings.
Drill out the existing backplating, and re-tap with m10x1 inserts and install with 10.9 or 12.9 quality v-coil inserts.

The springs you used, you mentioned going for hard and soft springs. What's your source? I think I saw the website mr. Spain used, but I can't find it again. Anything stateside?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Springs are of ISO standard, hard r206-405 2pcs. Softer is r205-405 2pcs. I am about too try installing 4pcs of the hard springs for a trial.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Springs are of ISO standard, hard r206-405 2pcs. Softer is r205-405 2pcs. I am about too try installing 4pcs of the hard springs for a trial.
I can’t find anything with those numbers, am I missing something?

The v-coil inserts are not hraded, the bolts are. Use at least 10.9 grade.
What are v-coil inserts exactly?

Forgive my ignorance, I understand how stupid these questions sound right after having researched and done the work 😅

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Well, more work underway. Did a trackday yesterday and leaned a bit too much in a tight lefthand turn, the peg touched the ground and got bent, screw also bent. Rest of the footplate is undamaged.
Bmw dies not sell spare parts for the HP only complete sets.

I am not buying a full left side footrest because if a peg .

So i started the lathe instead. Just need to ship it off for anodizing.

·
Registered
2006 BMW K1200S
60 Posts
The summer heat is here and I don't much enjoy donning gloves, helmet and boots to ride in heat over 95. Temperature on Saturday is predicted to be 108. Guess I'll fire up the garage AC, change the oil and blow the bugs & gunk out of my coolers.

·
Registered
386 Posts
The summer heat is here and I don't much enjoy donning gloves, helmet and boots to ride in heat over 95. Temperature on Saturday is predicted to be 108. Guess I'll fire up the garage AC, change the oil and blow the bugs & gunk out of my coolers.
Scandinavia doesn’t understand the concept of “too hot to go outside”. The words do not exist in their language to express this thought.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Did not gave time to have it anodized before next weekend when i have a trackday scheduled. So i fitted it and made a new p
lastic cap.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Found these videos (Deutsch) of someone doing the same thing with the clutch:

He’s posted an update saying it’s imperative to remove the paint from the springs, else it can come off in the motor and cause trouble (again, Deutsch):

He also recommends replacing one of the smaller springs (link in the description of the 3rd video). He confirmed from another comment only doing the 4 main springs gave him a vibration that he says got a lot better with the replacement of the smaller spring.

I’m now seriously debating this mod.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I am opening my bike up again this winter to check up on things and test 4 yellow springs.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Mattias_r
Is there a thread or Youtube (English please) that you would suggest for modifying/fixing the clutch. I'll probably try something this winter as I'm at 35,000 miles on my original clutch. Still no rattling and it engages fine, just getting ready for my retirement ride for next summer.
Thanks

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
No english, i used the spanish one and translated his text to english wgen i spole to him. Apperently now thefe is also a german version.

If i get the time and courage i will make an english version if no one beats me to it.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts