BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some socks recommendations for riding in cooler wx..non electric and ones that don't make your feet sweat.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Good wool hunting socks are my pick. Wool makes me itch so i go for the wool with cotton lining. The knee high ones help keep the calfs warm too. Camo is optional. Tho I always carry camo toilet paper, hate to be mistook for a whitetail and shot. www.cabelas.com or any sporting goods store. Even Walmart has some this time of year.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have a pair of fleece socks I wear over my cotton socks,they work pretty well.Sometimes I'll put silk knee socks on first,seems to keep my feet drier with the silks on.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Gn/bn

The bad news is that those whose feet sweat cannot solve that situation with socks alone. It requires an acceptance that moisture management is a multi-layered (pun) endeavor. And those whose feet do not sweat don't know what advice is useful. My feet sweat, so here goes.

In the Army for 30 years of Infantry-foot soldier experiences; years of hunting in the NorthEast (cold wet) and Southeast (warm wet); riding for 37 years. (Credentials!)

An undersock in a thin layer. Modern fabrics that wick are great, but I have found old guy nylon over the calf socks to work well. Covered by merino or similar good blend wool in medium weight. All into a well prepared and breathable leather boot -that leaves your feet room to swell and fit. Tight boots are bad. Waterproof boots are challenging.

I've been buying my socks from hiking gear stores-REI, EMS, HTO etc or from Aerostich - Smart Wool, UniMax, etc. It is more expensive, but my feet are happy. And you know what they say about that! I wear Army style combat boots and religiously prepare and maintain the leather and I wear good real leather riding boots prepared the same way.

Good luck.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Winter Socks Suggestions

"In the Army for 30 years of Infantry-foot soldier experiences; years of hunting in the NorthEast (cold wet) and Southeast (warm wet); riding for 37 years. (Credentials!)"

I bet your combat boots looked like you had walked in the Great Salt Lake (Salt stains).. :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
I wear a pair of thin wicking socks under the wool socks, and within my winter boots which are 1/2 size larger than summer boots, I put in the smallest size heatpack, just above my toes. Since the heatpacks only warms up with oxygen exposure, when my feet gets cold, I wiggle my toes to get blood circulation in them and few seconds the heatpacks warms up. The smallest heatpacks usually work for me 6-8 hours, I have yet to leave them in my boots long enough to have the heating effect run out for good. No wires, no electrics.. I buy three dozen of them for $25.00 at the surplus store.

I never had a problem with socks waddingup in my toes..

·
Registered
796 Posts
i tryed multilayering socks, silk, nylon etc. and found they wadded up in my toes and just pissed me off. whats the trick to keeping them in place? Staple gun?

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sock Suggestions..

"I never had a problem with socks waddingup in my toes.."

Hey Theo..was that your problem at the Turkey Pro..tight socks... :>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts