BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TANK RUST: I used to have a K, but actually learned this the hard way on an R100 GS: BMW tanks rust! I couldn't ride for a couple of years, left the tank mostly empty, and stored the bike outside under a raincover. (That's three (3) mistakes!) The tank was a mess inside. I bought cleanout / re-coating stuff at the dealer, which seems to have worked. Had to pull the tank, fill with hardware, shake all rust out, buy corks for the orifices, degrease, degrease, degrease, then re-coat. Moral of the story: fill the tank with gas and put in fuel stabilizer to minimize rust during the winter. Store bike inside.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Good generic advice! Always fill the tank to minimize condensation and adding a stabilizer is good common sense.

I do this with my boat every year. Even though it has a plastic gas tank (as does the K1200RS/GT) you should still fill the tank to keep the moisture out of the gas.

Randy

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
K1200's have ABS plastic tanks so shouldn't be probs there. Main prob. I guess is electrics and battery. I don't lay up my K completely, just ride a bit less and on good days. A tender you can leave on permanently between infrequent rides keeps the battery charge up and a bit of extra warmth under the seat and around the BMW relays and black boxes hasn't done mine any harm yet. Since K's use quite a bit of fuel in a small tank, I can still use 1/2 tank every 3-4 weeks in Winter. Sometimes, draining fuel and drying out pump and tank seal parts can make for more problems, so I always leave fuel in and even run the motor occasionally on the stand 'till the fans cut in (must be 1-2 litres!).

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts