BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm getting ready to put my blue and white '05 away for the season. The FJR will get some riding action, but the beemer won't.

Any tips on how to winterize? I was planning to fill the tank, put in a little gas saver and hook up the BMW trickle charger. That's it.

Reactions? Suggestions?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Mogan,

I wash the bike , and then wax all the paint and metal. I also do an oil and filter change,
and put WD 40 on all bolts and fastners. Considering I have a heated garage that may sound anal, but that's me. Also do the gas stabilizer, trickle charger, and get the front
tire of the Gt off the floor.

Phil

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
phil_p said:
Mogan,

I wash the bike , and then wax all the paint and metal. I also do an oil and filter change,
and put WD 40 on all bolts and fastners. Considering I have a heated garage that may sound anal, but that's me. Also do the gas stabilizer, trickle charger, and get the front
tire of the Gt off the floor.

Phil

What's the best way to get the front tire off the floor? The pit posse style stands seem a bit wobbly to me.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Be sure to run it for a few minutes after putting gas stabilizer in the tank so it gets through the entire fuel system. Other than that, clean it, change the oil and keep the battery charged and you should be good.

·
I'm riding
1,339 Posts
Jetpilot5 said:
Be sure to run it for a few minutes after putting gas stabilizer in the tank so it gets through the entire fuel system. Other than that, clean it, change the oil and keep the battery charged and you should be good.
That's what I did today. So my bikes are ready for winter sitting. Also would be good to spray some silicone over rubber parts(except tyres, of course) and to start the engine every two months at least.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Went to a dealer sponsored ‘winter riding / winterizing’ seminar a few weeks ago. Said all the same stuff. My question is ‘why change the oil / filter’ ??
My oil and filter have about 1000 miles on them. What advantage does changing the oil have?
Said, change it, run the bike for 3 minutes, then shut it off until spring.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Coastie said:
Went to a dealer sponsored ‘winter riding / winterizing’ seminar a few weeks ago. Said all the same stuff. My question is ‘why change the oil / filter’ ??
My oil and filter have about 1000 miles on them. What advantage does changing the oil have?

Your oil maybe ok with 1K. Older would have contaminents that you would not want
to sit in your engine for some months. Also when spring comes if it has already been
changed you're ready for the first ride with fresh everything. Because the GT has
a center stand I just use a piece of wood under the axel nut to support the front end.

Phil

·
I'm riding
1,339 Posts
Coastie said:
It's not necessary in case you use a fully synthetic oil.
But mineral oils start oxygenation if sit idle for a long time after being used.
So it could lead to corrosion AFAIK.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts