BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Over the weekend some moron cut the wires to the ignition switch on my K1300GT in a a very lame attempt to hot wire it or a very complex form a vandalism. I doubt it was vandalism. The wire from the harness were stripped and twisted together.

Thankfully no other visual damage to the bike.

Got a police report, called insurance, full coverage, bike is at the dealer.

Any warnings or things I should be aware of, or things I should be requesting the dealer to do? I am concerned about damage to sensors and the ECU.

Thanks

PS. I think this is my first post. My K1300GT is dark blue and had 10k miles when I got it in August 2016. I love the bike.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Reconsider where you park. Keep it where it is clearly visible to one and all. Get a chain and big ugly lock.
K13GT is indeed a great honking fast machine. Mine has just 25k on it now. Too much bike for the morning traffic commute but a man gotta do...

·
Registered
677 Posts
Thieves. The good ones just throw the whole bike in a van and are gone in 15 seconds. The bad ones are just a nuisance. I suggest you put a note on the bike explaining the fact that the bike is a BMW and should only be stolen by smart thieves with PhD's in Canbus electronics.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Honolulu - I now have a big yellow lock, thinking about a camera.

lhendrick - a note is a good idea, assuming they can read

Here is the latest. Bike is still in the shop. They are replacing the Control Unit - $1,151.32. Not clear to me if that is main ECU or some secondary device. They might have gone cheap and used plugs to fix the wire. Total cost $1,825.15. I am out $250 for the deductible. I am going to talk to the shop this afternoon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts