BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to wire a GPS to the front of the K-GT without splicing into existing wires or running all the way back to the battery?

I have a BMW connector that appears to tap into the wiring by plugging into the harness. It is supposed to be for the GPS or other such devices. Here is a photo of what I have. I'm trying to find a place up front to plug it in.

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
Most people tap into the parking light wire which is only powered when the ignition is on. But I don't like patching farkles into existing wiring because you can get electrical noise pickup.

Most people decide that a permanent up front fused junction box taken from the battery is what's needed. You can either make your own with waterproof blade fuse holders coming off the battery with say a 20-30 amp fuse and thick wire, then Y split to smaller fuses, or look at the Centech products which aren't that waterproof, but save thinking through the concepts. You could put your junction box under the seat and run the fused connections for your GPS up front. There's a hole in the front top brace connected to the triple tree that I've often thought might take a BMW power socket which has the waterproof sprung cover. But often you may add more things like lights/mp3/Autocom etc and need more than one fused connection.

What you want up front is a few separately fused power points where some of them are only active when the ignition is on. That does need one connection to the ignition 'on' wire and I would connect that tap to a 12 volt power relay so everything still comes from the battery terminals.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let me repeat myself.

Mudbug said:
Is there a way to wire a GPS to the front of the K-GT without splicing into existing wires or running all the way back to the battery?
I am not going to splice wires nor will I remove the body panels to run wires. One of the BMW parts pictured is for connecting the GPS. I need to know which one and where it connects.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This if from the official BMW parts fiche. 77_0019 - CONNECT.CABLE FOR NAVIGATION SYSTEM

It is #3

I am trying to find where to connect it. Since it is a genuine BMW part, it's got to plug in somewhere in the front of the bike.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Plan on pulling the tupperware, or having it done, or doing without. Honest.

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
RBEmerson said:
Plan on pulling the tupperware, or having it done, or doing without. Honest.
I think that's what dealerships are for when you buy expensive BMW products and want to keep that 'factory look'.

But I'll bet when they start, all the plastics will be off, if you are lucky all the screws will go back and when they've finished there'll be solder wired patches to the loom, just like what the rest of us do.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
518 Posts
C'mon, be fair. Not all dealers' workers are that cackhanded. Nonetheless, it's a wise owner who checks reputations before work is done, keeps an eye on the work performed, and calls a shop on work done poorly. Remember, too, that Mudbug is trying to use a harness meant to be plugged in, not just adding wiring with "vampire clips".

I just did my first tupperware removal and, even though I've been doing wrench-twisting for a while, found the job was a lot more involved than I expected. I did most of the maintenance on my Connie, built a touring Suzuki GS (v. retro, with a full Vetter Windjammer kit) and maintained a Honda CB900 Custom (the one with a two-speed transfer case behind a 5 speed tranny - a 10-speed motorcycle!) as well as doing the Vetter thing on that, too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mudbug said:
I am not going to splice wires nor will I remove the body panels to run wires. One of the BMW parts pictured is for connecting the GPS. I need to know which one and where it connects.
Mudbug said:
I am trying to find where to connect it. Since it is a genuine BMW part, it's got to plug in somewhere in the front of the bike.
All the electrical connectors are under the fuel tank - it's like that on both my BMWs. The plugs - under the tank.

My advice is to find a Clymer manual and look at the wiring diagram.

--chiba

·
Registered
101 Posts
My 2004 GT has a plug that no one can tell me what it is for. It is to the left at the bottom of the fairing (you can see it looking down over the left bar just below and behind the light bucket) . You could probably get the cap out of it and plug into it with out removing the Tupperware if you hands were about half the size of mine. I tapped into the parking light. Works perfect, no electrical noise (I use it to play MP3s as well) and shuts off without me having to remember.

And the Tupperware isn't that bad to take off, takes about 10 minutes.

Attachments

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
-CRASH- said:
My 2004 GT has a plug that no one can tell me what it is for. It is to the left at the bottom of the fairing (you can see it looking down over the left bar just below and behind the light bucket) . You could probably get the cap out of it and plug into it with out removing the Tupperware if you hands were about half the size of mine. I tapped into the parking light. Works perfect, no electrical noise (I use it to play MP3s as well) and shuts off without me having to remember.

And the Tupperware isn't that bad to take off, takes about 10 minutes.
I tired that connector. It was plugged into something. I connected a voltmeter, nothing showed. I temporarily plugged in the GPS leads and it ran on it's internal battery not the bikes power. Plugged or unplugged everything worked on the bike except the temporary connect to the GPS.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Here are three images that should clarify some earlier postings.

There is a power point on the left side, in front of the rear wheel. In the photo, it's the rounded cover just above the knob for the Oehlin rear shock. There's a knockout to mount a second power point, hidden behind the shock adjuster.

This is what's under the tank - looking from the right or throttle side of the bike. Not much in the way of connectors here. Two cable bundles can be seen coming out from under the air filter box, but that's about it. "Nothing to see here, folks - move along"

Here's what's under the tupperware in front of the tank and forks. There is access to cabling here.

BTW, note the RAM Mount base (and a piece of the 3 inch "dogbone") on top of the clutch master cylinder. This is an easy mount to install if you remember you're loosening a master cylinder with brake fluid in it. Take suitable precautions to control drips and leaks - your paint will thank you!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mudbug said:

I have a BMW connector that appears to tap into the wiring by plugging into the harness. It is supposed to be for the GPS or other such devices. Here is a photo of what I have. I'm trying to find a place up front to plug it in.

Hi,

May be this is plug is for that.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts