BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a quad lid license plate very cool with Red, Black and wht wiring. when i connect them to the brake light wiring, my brake light stop working. after calling the dealer, they said i can not connect anything directly to the wiring system. i have a 04 K12GT how and where can i connect the wiring.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
need more info...what is a quad lid?...all i can tell you is that red is brake white is gnd and black is tail...and these colors are off the lid? led? post back

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BAK04GT said:
need more info...what is a quad lid?...all i can tell you is that red is brake white is gnd and black is tail...and these colors are off the lid? led? post back
Hi and thank you
I have a frame with light all around it and yes all these colors off the lid

·
Registered
143 Posts
simply said:
Hi and thank you
I have a frame with light all around it and yes all these colors off the lid
Simply-
Does the frame manufacture have a website you can get help through? If not, we need to look at the wiring diagram, instructions that came with it to help you out. Can you scan it and post it as an attachment for us?
The LID type stuff is a little different to hook up than the standard tail light.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BMWorDuc said:
Simply-
Does the frame manufacture have a website you can get help through? If not, we need to look at the wiring diagram, instructions that came with it to help you out. Can you scan it and post it as an attachment for us?
The LID type stuff is a little different to hook up than the standard tail light.
Thank you
I am not sure if they do have a website or not, i did not check but it came with instruction whit wiring diagram, that which color is what should be. but i do not know the bike wiring diagram that, which one is ground, brake and negative and where do i have to conect them.
The frame is very cool cost about $120.00 i got it from J&C cycle
i try to post a picture
Thank you

·
Registered
264 Posts
Tell us a little more. How did you connect it to your brake light? Do you have a meter?

If you just used those squeezon splicers then the only reason your brake light shouldn't work is that the device is very low impedence causing almost no current to flow thru the brake light. That doesn't make sense for a variety of reasons.

Have you checked your bulb? Check the connectors. Maybe you pulled a wire off the brake light during the install. Good luck,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
simply said:
Thank you
I am not sure if they do have a website or not, i did not check but it came with instruction whit wiring diagram, that which color is what should be. but i do not know the bike wiring diagram that, which one is ground, brake and negative and where do i have to conect them.
The frame is very cool cost about $120.00 i got it from J&C cycle
i try to post a picture
Thank you
One problem that might crop up is that the brake light is monitored for failure. By adding this LED to the circuit you might wind up with a can of worms.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I Put An Led Frame On Mine And Had No Problem I Think You Just Need To Test Wires With A Test Light And See Whitch Is Tail And Whitch Is Brake...hook Up Your Gnd From The Test Light But Dont Have Your Led Hooked Up....power Up The Bike ....turn The Lights On....prob The Wires Till The Test Light Lights...that Would Hook Up To Your Blk Wire...now Apply Your Break And Probe Again..when The Test Light Lights Up Again ..thats Your Brake Light Wire Witch Will Hook Up To The Red Wire.....the Other Wire Is Gnd Witch Would Hook Up To The White Wire....i Know That There Is Not Much Wire To Play With But Take Your Time And And All Should Be Fine....good Luck

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BAK04GT said:
I Put An Led Frame On Mine And Had No Problem I Think You Just Need To Test Wires With A Test Light And See Whitch Is Tail And Whitch Is Brake...hook Up Your Gnd From The Test Light But Dont Have Your Led Hooked Up....power Up The Bike ....turn The Lights On....prob The Wires Till The Test Light Lights...that Would Hook Up To Your Blk Wire...now Apply Your Break And Probe Again..when The Test Light Lights Up Again ..thats Your Brake Light Wire Witch Will Hook Up To The Red Wire.....the Other Wire Is Gnd Witch Would Hook Up To The White Wire....i Know That There Is Not Much Wire To Play With But Take Your Time And And All Should Be Fine....good Luck
Thank yu all for help and i try to do my best
Best ride and regards to all

The Red GT

·
Enthusiast
601 Posts
simply said:
I have a quad lid license plate very cool with Red, Black and wht wiring. when i connect them to the brake light wiring, my brake light stop working. after calling the dealer, they said i can not connect anything directly to the wiring system. i have a 04 K12GT how and where can i connect the wiring.
I am guessing you have a quad 'Back-off' license frame. If that is the case it will work fine with the EVO braking system without triggering a brake light fault. The LED assemblies do not draw enough current to upset the circuitry. My wife has one on her 2004 RS and I had one on my GT and earlier RS. The BMW color codes are:

brown = ground (brown is always ground on BMWs)
grey/yellow = brake light
grey/black = taillight

The 'Back-off' wiring instructions are here.

You would connect the black to the brown, the red to the grey/yellow and the white to the grey/black.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
randy said:
I am guessing you have a quad 'Back-off' license frame. If that is the case it will work fine with the EVO braking system without triggering a brake light fault. The LED assemblies do not draw enough current to upset the circuitry. My wife has one on her 2004 RS and I had one on my GT and earlier RS. The BMW color codes are:

brown = ground (brown is always ground on BMWs)
grey/yellow = brake light
grey/black = taillight

The 'Back-off' wiring instructions are here.

You would connect the black to the brown, the red to the grey/yellow and the white to the grey/black.

Hope this helps!
Hi Randy and thank you
Yes it is quad Back off from Signal Dynamics Corp. now my question is, can i connect the wiring to the break system directly? because when i did that before my break light stop working so where can i connect the wiring?
Thank you

·
Enthusiast
601 Posts
simply said:
Hi Randy and thank you
Yes it is quad Back off from Signal Dynamics Corp. now my question is, can i connect the wiring to the break system directly? because when i did that before my break light stop working so where can i connect the wiring?
Thank you
Mine are wired directly to the wires to the taillight/brakelight socket. It worked fine on my 2004 K1200GT and is working fine on my wife's 2004 K1200RS and 2005 R1200RT as well as my 2005 LT. All of these bikes use the same bulb current monitoring circuitry.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
randy said:
Mine are wired directly to the wires to the taillight/brakelight socket. It worked fine on my 2004 K1200GT and is working fine on my wife's 2004 K1200RS and 2005 R1200RT as well as my 2005 LT. All of these bikes use the same bulb current monitoring circuitry.
Hi
I will try one more time and i hope it works. so if it take the taillight/breaklight and conect the wiring it should work.
I let you know Randy
Thank you again

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
randy said:
Hi Randy
Did the same way as you said and it looks and works great. thank you so much for help
The Red One GT.
Also thank you to all of your help and respond everybody

1 - 14 of 14 Posts