BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Woot! Got me a S1000RR!

5K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  JCW 
#1 ·
Okay, this bike is deceptively fast!

Every time I look at the speedo it's 74 MPH. Got to be careful with it as it gets there right now. Mush different riding position than the GT and I find riding it with my elbows on my knees pretty relaxing.

I need some of Meese's neck exercises though. I must be doing it wrong or I need bigger glasses so I can see upwards more through the helmet opening.

Mack

#7 ·
This is really one of those bikes that comes around 5-6 years that raises the level of the playing field.

I wish I could get one, but my bank account won't allow it. :(

#8 ·
Lily (aka Wonder Woman) at Ozzie's BMW ordered me the "Green Monster" (her name for it) via special order after I demo'd their first bike in Jan. 26th (the official 1000RR release date). Demo rides are wallet burners!

Got everything but the BMW alarm as they installed the better two-way Scorpio i900 with proximity sensor in it. She talked me into the taller dark tinted shield too. They also installed a Powerlet socket so I could use the lower-wattage Warm-and-Safe jacket liner on it - and I had to as Donner Pass and Truckee, CA had snow, plus I-80 near there is one lane and all tore up. I think my teethes fell out around Truckee as the road is really bad and the bike's suspension is really tight. Forgot to bring the separate adjuster toolkit with me too. :(

Got in a good 250 mile day on it though (shut up Meesie! :spank1: )

Pictures? What pictures? I need some photo account to post jpeg stuff (I think?). I did run my VIO cams front and rear though out of the tank-bag.

Off to find a liter-size bottle of Motrin and a really good masseuse. Definitely a different feel than the comfy GT. Bugs, unfortunately, seem to gravitate to the green/gold color though and now it looks like it lost in a yellow paintball match.

Mack

#10 ·
BMWGirl said:
Okay the green and orange ones just aren't my thing, but the red,white, blue, black is HOT! I think my girl Fergie even likes it!!!

about 1:40 in to the video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUFsQ5lTo6g&NR=1&feature=fvwp
Saw the Fergie thing too. I suspect the white is a girl thing since white Harleys are often the girl's models. Honda had a red, white, and blue Interceptor in the late 90's that was sold to a lot of women. But what do I know?

ummm....however, I do know for a fact the cops do like the green one. :mad:

Got pulled over east of Reno in the desert night's blackness by a cop in a SUV. I wasn't speeding as I had been forewarned, but I got pulled over for "No visible license plate." (okay, because it's new?). Those Nevada cop SUV's really have some lights on them and you don't need rear view mirrors to figure out what is going on behind you.

That had to be 12 minutes of hell sitting on the bike while he ran all the paperwork. Good thing the dealer got me to wait for the fax of my insurance card before I left. I needed valid insurance card, dealer DMV registration copy, and a current motorcycle endorsement else the new bike could be impounded in Nevada.

Actually, the cop was pretty cool once he switched out of the "authority" mindset and we had a few good laughs over some other sundry stuff as to why I was where I was. Even got a thumbs-up before he shut off all the SUV lights, flipped a U-turn, and ran someone else down in the blackness.

Bike is sweet, but definitely will be one of the slower colors since the radar detector seems to be really 'chatty' for some reason when I see a cop.

Dealer is buying me dinner tonight and first service is tomorrow as I clocked off 500 miles exactly so they can get rid of the break-in RPM restriction thing. Then it's 400 miles to its new home via a Uhaul trailer.

Mack

#12 ·
This thing is a total hoot! :D

I can't believe how nimble this bike is. The loss of 250-300 pounds over the GT is a pure delight. I can push it up driveways and parking it is a snap over the GT. Moving it in circles inside the garage is a piece of cake over the GT. I can back-in park it in seconds over the guys trying to back their Harley's up. I sometimes park at a Harley shop just to annoy the owner and wear loud colored clothing too. :D There's some sort of heaviness of the GT that makes it far slower for me to maneuver and contemplate a dash to the store vs. the S being almost nothing in weight and far faster to get on and just go.

Lane splitting a long line of cars is 'No problemo' now. Off the line, and I'm a block away without even trying to max. over the PSL while remaining in 1st gear too. It growls! :thumb:

I had do some 'suspension tuning' for the street to get rid of the ride harshness due to our rough and pot-holed city roads today. BMW AG sets it up pretty stiff. I dialed everything down to 2 instead of mid-range of 5 and took off a revolution of rear spring tension to increase the sag a bit. Much more comfy now for this ol' phart.

Tomorrow, off to the canyons for some carving. :ricky

Mack

#14 ·
Watched the video. Where did they mount that camera? Seems it is high up on a pole or something?

Mine's the K1200GT. It's been parked ever since I got the S as I like the weight loss if nothing else. I need to go out and run the GT for a bit, hoping it isn't mad from neglect and decides to blow up chunks like Roberts and now mikemacks. :yeow:

I like your Bursig stand too. :thumb:

Mack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.