BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I've now heard this mentioned a couple times - that the K1200R is being discontinued?!

Can somebody confirm or dispel this?

·
Registered
240 Posts
I Heard it Too

I've heard it twice now. Wait a minute...both posts are you on different boards! (Joking and not complaining, rivi).

Haven't heard any rumors from my dealer salesman or others. Interesting tidbit, though.

I imagine it would make mine more valuable in the short term.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The guy from Motorad at the Long Beach show said they were done with new models and the LT would be going away but not the R!

Ray

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
Ray,

I again question your sources. I have several sources who have been right about everything that has occurred in regards to new BMW products (S, R, GT, 2006 LT options), and they laughed when I asked them about your rumor. The GT is not a replacement for the LT and the new LT is still slated for arrival as a 2008 model in late 2007. The new LT will still be a fixed sidecases/topcase offering that will include an integrated intercom/audio/gps and will be 100-150 pounds lighter than the current LT.

·
Rider Journeyman
502 Posts
No...... but.....

rivi777 said:
OK, I've now heard this mentioned a couple times - that the K1200R is being discontinued?!

I have heard it from a "reliable source" that the K1200R "Power Cup" version has been cancelled. :(

·
Registered
49 Posts
This would make much more sense than killing it! A new LT with more power and losing 100-150 lbs. would certainly make Honda rethink the Wing also.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Rayo said:
This would make much more sense than killing it! A new LT with more power and losing 100-150 lbs. would certainly make Honda rethink the Wing also.
I really doubt it. I think a significant proportion of Wing purchasers buy it specifically because of its bulk.

Besides, if they made the Wing smaller and lighter, who who would they give the
"All It Needs Is Doors" award to each year? :D

Bob.

·
Registered
49 Posts
RFWILSON said:
I really doubt it. I think a significant proportion of Wing purchasers buy it specifically because of its bulk.
Bob.
Bob I am not sure that the 1800 wing would have materilized the way it did or with the capabilities of this newer model if BMW hadn't been kicking them around in all the MC rags with the LT.

Ray

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
There was a rumor back at the MOA rally in Trenton, ON, where I talked to a group from BMWNA and BMW AG where discussion turned to two engine possibilities for a LT-class motorcycle.

The first was the 1.8L Mini engine. From a size/weight perspective, including clutch and transmission, it was very similar to the flying brick. From a power perspective, it had the potential to be a 180 HP powerplant. Of course, 180HP would just be stupid for a LT, but if tuned properly, it could give an next-gen LT the kind of torque and power needed to drive a 750-800 pound luxury touring machine.

The second was a variation on the new (or new then) 7-series engine with the electronically actuated valves. No cam shaft. Significant weight reduction. Significant size reduction in a 4 or even a 6-cylinder engine. This discussion centered on BMW's ability to adapt that engine technology to the entire K-series, and the possibility of introducing a new "M" series for the motorcycle division.

BTW, I have always maintained that BMW marketing should have pushed the "M" series nameplate for the new slant-4 engine. It should have been a M1200S and M1200R, focusing on the performance aspect of the M-series from the car division. But that's just me. :D

·
Registered
193 Posts
eljeffe said:
BTW, I have always maintained that BMW marketing should have pushed the "M" series nameplate for the new slant-4 engine. It should have been a M1200S and M1200R, focusing on the performance aspect of the M-series from the car division. But that's just me. :D
At first I thought the same. However, BMW now have the separate designation of HP (high performance) to complement the M car line. With the HP2 on the market, I expect that the next model will be a HP4 based on the S ... idle speculation. The K denotes compact so in a way it migrates well to the slant 4. However, for the sake of the brick, it is unfortunate that Marketing couldn't have utilized some other letter. Unlike the automobiles, the bike designs are tied very closely to the motor. As time passes, the uniqueness of the brick RS, GT and LT lineup will be overshadowed by the 'latest and greatest' K's. They deserve better.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Will be more new models

Rayo said:
The guy from Motorad at the Long Beach show said they were done with new models and the LT would be going away but not the R!

Ray
Early this fall Laurence Kuykendall (Brand & Event Marketing Manager for BMW NA) told me that the rate of new model introductions would continue for the next several years. You can be sure he didn't say anything about what they might be - just that there would be a lot of them. Dunno who you talked to at the Long Beach show, but Kuykendall is in a position to know. Perhaps your guy meant done for the next 12 months - or something.

Since most of the current line has been or is about to be updated, could the new introductions be more "HP" models? Mebbe an extreme licht bau K with the engine claiming more of its potential and a chain drive? The layout does suit a chain and that would provide more power to the wheel, less overall weight and far less unsprung weight. Also the new 800 cc twin may come in many flavors.

But beyond more new models coming, all is pure unfounded speculation.

·
Registered
147 Posts

Dude, you're suffering from a really bad case of PMS. Parked Motorcycle Syndrome, that is. :D

I do know that sales of the K1200R have been slower than BMW expected. I can see BMW altering production scheduling to stop 2006 production of the K1200R to accomodate other bikes like the new K1200GT and the F bikes. Maybe that's what was meant by what you heard. Confusing, huh?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts