BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today on CA33 outside of Ojai I was trying to find out where the feelers on the pegs drag and found out that the Wunderlich add on for the kick stand drags before the peg feelers. I only felt 'something' drag and knew it wasn't the peg. When I checked it out there is a silver spot filed off of the bottom of the kcik stand 'pad'. Not sure if this would be enough to dig in, or to unweight the back end, but I'm considering removing it.

Thoughts?

·
Capn' Blowhard
333 Posts
If it was me, I'd remove it - I wouldn't want anything dragging at all like that, ever...especially something hinged. Well, my knee is hinged and I don't mind dragging that but you get my point. :)

What would happen in my case is that I would get used to less lean angle around town maybe (which would suck in and of itself) then promptly forget that it was on there when I hit some twisties in a few months. Like you said, maybe it would just grind a bit or maybe it would gouge into some rough pavement and unsettle the rear end (at 70mph leaned over!).

It might be safe, hard to say...but I wouldn't want anything dragging like that on my bike. Just use the centerstand and take it off. :)

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Depends on if you ever park in areas with thin or hot asphalt.

I came out to mine after lunch and it poked a hole, sunk about an inch or two through some thin asphalt, and was about to fall into a tree.

Being that I also experienced a few months in the shop and nearly $5000 in damages and an increase in my insurance to $1000 year, do you feel lucky for the thing not to fall over in the event you remove it? I already go the nasty letter in my premium increase that says "If you do this stunt one more time....:bash: " Seems that happened on the house after two storm damage claims and now I cannot get insurance for a while. :mad: Least it's paid off so the bank cannot get upset. After a few years pass, I can get a policy again. Gotta love insurance.

You might shave off some of the grind area, but I'd guess and say the thing may snap off if you drag it too much. You could replace their screws with nylon ones if you wanted it to break-away easier.

It's your call. "Do ya feel lucky?" - and can you afford a GT tip-over episode?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not so much the hot asphalt thing, as much as I'm always pulling off the road into soft sand or dirt to take pix, and it's more of a hassle to get out the little kick stand pad I carry and get it positioned.

I guess I'm hoping that someone else who has this thingy will post here that: yes, it drags until it wears off 1/8" of metal and then the pegs touch. No harm no foul. But if it just continues to drag, then it's too much of a risk for me, as Nexus-6 points out above.

Anyone out there having a similar problem?

Sorry about the tip over and the insurance hassle. Try getting wind storm coverage in Florida these days if you want a real shock.

·
Registered
497 Posts
grifscoots said:
FWIW, I haven't drug the feelers on the pegs. Not squiddly enough?
I scrapped my left boot - does that make me a squid, or stoopit for not having my boot on the peg properly? :special

Brian

·
no power in the 'verse can stop me
1,126 Posts
bnblazer said:
I scraped my left boot - does that make me a squid, or stoopit for not having my boot on the peg properly? :special

Brian
It just means you've got big feet. :teeth

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
bnblazer said:
I scrapped my left boot - does that make me a squid, or stoopit for not having my boot on the peg properly? :special

Brian
Et tu?

I scrapped the toe of my right boot once chasing some guy in the canyons who has a lot of track time. He told me later to keep the balls of my feet on the pegs. I still dunno how I scrapped the toe with the brake lever down there. I must walk like a duck, got big feet, or something.

·
Capn' Blowhard
333 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
shook sez said:
It just means you've got big feet. :teeth
Size 14 - unfortunately that is the only thing that's big. :mad:

B-

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
bnblazer said:
Size 14 - unfortunately that is the only thing that's big. :mad:

B-
Sumptin's wrong there. ;)

Back on topic:

Whatever happened to Joe? :confused:

I wonder if he wandered into one of those Nevada brothels to get out of the heat while awaiting a final drive? Isn't there a famous brothel near Sparks?
If so, he may need gas money to get home after his final drive. :rotf:

Oh heck. I'm on the wrong post. Never mind.....

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
DavidS said:
Today on CA33 outside of Ojai I was trying to find out where the feelers on the pegs drag and found out that the Wunderlich add on for the kick stand drags before the peg feelers.
Why not just grind it down the rest of the way? You can tell where it's hitting, so remove it, take it to a bench grinder, then put it back on. Though the nylon bolt idea also sounds reasonable.

And yeah, CA33 rocks. That's my backyard, and part of my monthly commute.
:D

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep, I thought about finding a shop and grinding it down, but it is very close to one of the three mounting screws already. I'm going out this morning on CA58 and I'll see if I can better gauge how badly it is dragging. I am hoping that the peg feelers are a hair away from touching and that (carefully) dragging it will grind enough away. We are at the end of a several month trip and I do not have a grinder w/ me.

I reported this to the dealer where I bought it, and they are sending the info up the CoC.

And yes, CA33 way way cool. It reminded me of some of my home roads in Colorado.

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
If you're heading west of CA-58, some of those roller-coaster hills can actually get you airborne. :D If you're heading east, watch for extreme winds. Either way, enjoy the ride.

And yes, CO has some pretty awesome roads. I need to get back up that way and bag a few more passes. :D

·
Registered
337 Posts
1) As soon as you get into the twisties make sure you are up on the balls of your feet on the pegs. Helps you to unload the bike if you hit bumps and makes sure that pegs hit and feet don't. On my wing I was cornering and caught my toe on the pavement, ripped my foot off the peg and pulled my groin - it was awhile before I could walk straight.

2) Aluminum grinds down REAL fast. I have some highway pegs on my wing that are the first thing to touch down and after one good grind there is a lot of material gone. So just hit some twisties and grind away if you only have a bit of room to go before hitting the peg feelers. Although, you should be able to ride to the extent where the pegs fold up a bit.

3) When in the twisties make sure your suspension is at its max - more clearance.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Long story short: I'm going to remove the pad...even though it is useful.

It is just too distracting to be thinking about what's going on with this thing when I am flicking the bike through the twisties. This bike has so much clearance that finding the feelers is already an adventure...w/out the added concern of what this thing might do.

Also, one of the mounting screws is right where it is grinding and it will not take much for it to become compromised. Then I'd be wondering when it is going to come loose, or off, and what damage that might do at speed. Too much to think about. I'd rather be riding and enjoying the road...and I'll just go back to using a portable 'puck'.

Thanks for all the replies. If someone does find a 'solution' please post it.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If there is no picture attached, please tell me how to post a pic. If it is,well then...there you are.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
GMack said:
Et tu?

I scrapped the toe of my right boot once chasing some guy in the canyons who has a lot of track time. He told me later to keep the balls of my feet on the pegs. I still dunno how I scrapped the toe with the brake lever down there. I must walk like a duck, got big feet, or something.
I too have scraped a boot. Now when the twisties come up I get in the proper position like Im some AMA Super Bike racer. LOL.
The boot scrape got me dialed in. Size 10
David

1 - 20 of 21 Posts