BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one know how to get the center cap off the triple clamp of a K12RS so a thermometer can be installed?

Thank you,
Motoyoda

·
Registered
123 Posts
Center Cap

Moto,
I had he same dilemna a few months ago, was not comfortable trying to pry it out because I did not know how it was attached. It is just held in there by adhesive. I took a very small screw driver and started in an inconspicuous place. I placed a piece of masking tape on the tree in order not to scratch it. Took a small hammer and gave the screw driver a blow to the handle. The screw driver slid under the cover and from there it was simple to work it off. Then I placed the thermometer in the opening.

·
Registered
123 Posts
thermometer

The Wunderlich fits in perfectly, It is a bit hard to read because the graphics are small. But once you have it and realize what you are reading it does not seem too bad. I like it, but it would be nice to have a digital one. As I said, it fits really nice and it looks good there.

·
Registered
123 Posts
pictures

Here are a few pics of what it looks like, it does sit a bit proud of the top tree. I have never loaded any pics I'm not sure it they are going to load. I tried to load pictures again but I guess I just don't know how. I used the manage attachment button but they don't load. Sorry

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Digital Thermometer

I put a digital thermomter (it looks like a cigar) just under the clock/warning idiot light area of the dash, held on with velcro. It works wonderfully. It has a sensor which I place in on the left signal light pod.

Plastics
99 K1200RS (silver/blue)

·
Registered
227 Posts
plastics said:
I put a digital thermomter (it looks like a cigar) just under the clock/warning idiot light area of the dash, held on with velcro. It works wonderfully. It has a sensor which I place in on the left signal light pod.

Plastics
99 K1200RS (silver/blue)
I am interested, post a picture.

Ron

·
Registered
227 Posts
magellan44 said:
Here are a few pics of what it looks like, it does sit a bit proud of the top tree. I have never loaded any pics I'm not sure it they are going to load. I tried to load pictures again but I guess I just don't know how. I used the manage attachment button but they don't load. Sorry
Here is a picture of the Wunderlich thermometer for my RT. It looks great but it's disappointed how it works because it gets a lot of heat from the oil cooler in the nose. Once at operating temp, it always reads high.

Ron

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Magellan

I will try to take it out again tomorrow, but I am afraid I already made a scratch or two.

Motoyoda

·
Registered
408 Posts
Thanks for the input and liked the photo or the thermostat on your RT. I just ordered one for my GT today. I have a electronic "cigar shaped" unit velcrowed under my gauges, but it is partially obscured by my XM Radio. I just changed from a XM SkyFi to a XM Roady and the Roady is much smaller and now permits me to mount a thermostat as you did on the tripple tree. I think it looks more finished.

On another topoic, the XM Roady is definately a better option than the SkyFi I had on the bike. I initially chose the SkyFi as I wanted the ability to go from bike to car to car. Now I use the SkyFi in the cars only and have the Roady for the bike. The Roady mounting is also more secure than for the SkyFi. Just some thoughts on the topic.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Well just a short follow-up on my thermostat order. I called Santa Cruz and ordered one of the Wunderlich Thermostats. Received it and after I removed the center cap, I found that the thermostat cleary would not work as it required the base to be inserted into the hole - unfortnately on my GT there is no hole. Went back to the computer to the Wunderlich web site and found that there are different thermostats for the Gt verses the RT. I had been sent the RT model. The GT model has a flat surface that just glues on the the Tripple tee hole.

On a side note however, I had not realized that the thermostat while having both C and F is basically a C-thermostat as the F markings are almost not readable. One would have thought that marketing a product in the US they would have reversed this, but they did not.

So the bottom line is I must return my thermostat and I am going to go to a Formotion stick on thermostat with clearly readable F markings. I need to be able to read/understand the temp with one glance and the Wunderlich product although really nicely done, does not fit this requirement.

I have attached some photos of the Formotion thermostats.

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
A little late to this thread. I had a Wunderlich thermostat on my R1150R. Found it hard to read, and when I could read it, it was very inaccurate.

Switched to a Formotion on the KRS. Easy to read and very accurate. You'll be happy with your decision.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Formotion

Those are nice looking thermostats, I wish I would have known about them before I purchased my Wunderlich. I don't mind the Wunderlich, I have found that I find where the " zero C " is and go by tens from there. I guess it is one of those things you get used to.

As I mentioned I did not know about the Formotion.

Thanks

·
Registered
351 Posts
Formotion web link here

Hanshi said:
So the bottom line is I must return my thermostat and I am going to go to a Formotion stick on thermostat with clearly readable F markings. I need to be able to read/understand the temp with one glance and the Wunderlich product although really nicely done, does not fit this requirement.

I have attached some photos of the Formotion thermostats.
Here is the location for their stickon products:
http://www.formotionproducts.com/stickon.htm
The 5 ATM liquid filled unit looks nice.

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
03k12RS:

The one to the left is actually a day glow model which is the way I will likely go. Heading up to the NY International Motorcycle Show tomorrow and hope to pick one up there.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Did you pick up the Formotion BPL 75310 day glow stick on?

Hanshi said:
03k12RS:

The one to the left is actually a day glow model which is the way I will likely go. Heading up to the NY International Motorcycle Show tomorrow and hope to pick one up there.
Just wondering if you found Formotion at the show? The market through Harley Davidson dealerships (have a ton of them here in Milwaukee, WI ). Also curious about your placement on bike, got any pictures to show?

·
Registered
522 Posts
I've had one on my RS for a while and besides requiring reading glasses to see the degrees F and the fact that the temp is increased by the engine temp, it looks great. I used a sharp pocket knife to get under the original cap to pry it off. It is a perfect fit.

·
Riding in company
292 Posts
I bought a Formotion thermostat (I'm pleased to play along with the joke and call this thermometer a thermostat :p ) at the NY show from Cycle Gadgets for $31.93. It looks OK. You might also look at http://www.aerostich.com/home.php?cat=265 for a $4 alternative.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts