BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Xenon headlight is now available as an option in the US. Don't know what happened to get the DOT approval but it will be available. Saw it as an option on one of the dealers ordered bikes along with TPM which won't be built until October.

Believe it was $465 as noted in other option listings.

No idea if can be retrofitted or not but it's a good sign anyway.

Checked out the dark graphite '07 in the showroom while I was there - nice, very nice. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
no bid deal.....
i wouldn't want to have waited one more day to ride my graphite GT.....
she's the best bike i've ever had the honor of riding.....
and i've owned a dozen or more over the years

·
Registered
838 Posts
The Xenon system was available on Canadian GTs from the get go. I've ridden with it for the past 8K. It is a remarkable improvement to the amount and quality of low beam, light cast to the shoulders of the road and beyond. Overall the combination for Xenon low beam and (2) halogen highbeams is the best stock lighting system I've ever experienced.

Not to mention how cool it looks. I love the startup. Everybody comments on it. :D

Now that it is available in the U.S. I would suggest you put it at the top of your priority options list. It is a MUST have IMHO.

·
Registered
68 Posts
how much for the option of installing it NOW???
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SKIZIKS said:
The Xenon system was available on Canadian GTs from the get go. I've ridden with it for the past 8K. It is a remarkable improvement to the amount and quality of low beam, light cast to the shoulders of the road and beyond. Overall the combination for Xenon low beam and (2) halogen highbeams is the best stock lighting system I've ever experienced.

Not to mention how cool it looks. I love the startup. Everybody comments on it. :D

Now that it is available in the U.S. I would suggest you put it at the top of your priority options list. It is a MUST have IMHO.

That's good to know. I will definitely have it as an option if/when I order one.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi

First post.

The Xenon headlights are superb. Best night vision on any bike and better than a lot of cars.

Daylight, I have noticed how much attention I get from cars and how they seem to see me from much further back when the are about to pull out from a side road.

The brighter lights seem to really GET THEIR ATTENTION and that makes it safer for me.

Steve
:)

·
Registered
838 Posts
wadham said:
Hi

First post.

The Xenon headlights are superb. Best night vision on any bike and better than a lot of cars.

Daylight, I have noticed how much attention I get from cars and how they seem to see me from much further back when the are about to pull out from a side road.

The brighter lights seem to really GET THEIR ATTENTION and that makes it safer for me.

Steve
:)
Steve,

Very valid point. Not only do they illuminate, they make you far more conspicious.

·
Registered
68 Posts
MassGT said:
So do you think that means the US 06's will be able to upgraded or not?
i've heard that the '07s can be upgraded, so i'm sure that the '06s can be as well

·
Registered
838 Posts
ClearwaterBMW said:
i've heard that the '07s can be upgraded, so i'm sure that the '06s can be as well
It will be expensive, of that I'm sure. I've examined both systems, just happening to have a fine CGM example on hand and having ridden to the U.S. and examined that version. There are some differences in the reflector system (HID bulb mounts differently) that will mean replacement of what appears to be the complete integrated headlamp unit. Add in the ballast system required for Xenon and I'm thinking this will cost at least $600 - $900 US.

·
Registered
279 Posts
ClearwaterBMW said:
no bid deal.....
i wouldn't want to have waited one more day to ride my graphite GT.....
she's the best bike i've ever had the honor of riding.....
and i've owned a dozen or more over the years
Greg -
She's a dandy isn't she ???
An engineering marvel :D

I can't wait for my Rick Mayer seats to get back, I'm going thru withdrawls.

·
Registered
68 Posts
GTdavey said:
Greg -
She's a dandy isn't she ???
An engineering marvel :D

I can't wait for my Rick Mayer seats to get back, I'm going thru withdrawls.
she certainly IS a dandy
none better made today, IMHO

·
Registered
68 Posts
grifscoots said:
Do y'all reckon it's something we can do ourselves? I mean, the mechanical part is a breeze. Will the brain have to be hooked up and told the light has changed?
you got me...
i wish i knew

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
grifscoots said:
Do y'all reckon it's something we can do ourselves? I mean, the mechanical part is a breeze. Will the brain have to be hooked up and told the light has changed?
IIRC, while my GT was connected to the GT-1 there was an HID Y/N option.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts