BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time this has ever happen to me, two up, just cross the border into Nevada. Front end started to bounce. Pulled over, and looked at the front end. Holy shit! My front tire looked like the Elephant Man. I was in a bad spot so I figured I would go to the next exit. No go, the wheel had expanded so much that it jammed against the fender. I had to take off the fender and deflate the tire so that it wouldn't rub against the mounting brackets for the fender. Anyway, had to trailer the bike home, reinflated the tire for picture taking, but by the time I started to take the picture it blew so all I can show you guys is where the tire split apart, right down the middle. I sent the tire back to Mez. I have not heard from them. Oh yea, under 9k miles on tire.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,088 Posts
Your very fortunate, that one could of hurt both of you in a Big way.
How many miles did you have on it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Z6 blew at 9k miles whatta u think.........

9k miles & the Z6 blew.. what were you expecting to get 40,000 miles??? By the looks of the rest of the tread, it was long overdue. That tyre is designed to give you 6-8k miles at best.....why push it into oblivion?
I'll bet it gave you plenty of stick until you way overdid it.
This is a "SPORT PERFORMANCE" tyre. It did its job.
 

·
Looking for better limits...
Joined
·
5,163 Posts
Well, maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I get 10k miles on Z6's just as the tread bars are indicating it's time to move on. Pilot Roads were the same way. Sportec M1's were less than that, giving up the ghost at 6k. But, that wasn't surprising, considering what the tire is designed for.

I wouldn't expect any compensation from the tire company at 9k, but I think it'd be worthwhile for both the manufacturer and the consumer to know what really happened.

As always, my 2¢ worth...



100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
9K and 10K on tires?

I must be doing something wrong!

I got 5K on my Z6s and the rear tire was showing the belts!

I now have almost 13K on the bike and have had:

The original Z4s - nail at 2,200 (never liked them anyway)
Z6s - 5,200 (Belts showing - last 200 were DANGEROUS, front marginal)
Powers - 3,600 (both shot)
Avons - 2,000 (still look new)

This involves about 1/3 of the miles slabbing to get to/from the twisties.

Randy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
9K on Tires........?

beemertoni said:
9k miles & the Z6 blew.. what were you expecting to get 40,000 miles??? By the looks of the rest of the tread, it was long overdue. That tyre is designed to give you 6-8k miles at best.....why push it into oblivion?
I'll bet it gave you plenty of stick until you way overdid it.
This is a "SPORT PERFORMANCE" tyre. It did its job.
I agree, 9K on a set of tires is pushing it. I am about to put on my new Z'6's I got today
(SouthWest Moto tires, $221.90, delivered to my door in 1 week, Arizona to upstate N.Y.)
and my original BattLax's are shot at 5,200 miles. I push it hard, and am a big guy, but always triple check my pressure(s) almost every 3-4 days. I am awaiting my "Harbor Freight" tire changer (w/motorcycle attachment) , and my buddy has a Mark Parnes? balancer. After some helpful hints from this site, and the old one, I should be ready to roll in a few days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
Not sure how some of you guys do it. This is 4,600 on my Z6B. If I could get 9,000, I'd never change.

Anyway, the Z6 is still the best combination of grip/mileage I've found-I'm on my 3rd set.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Plumb wore out.

blue98k12 said:
First time this has ever happen to me, two up, just cross the border into Nevada. Front end started to bounce. Pulled over, and looked at the front end. Holy shit! My front tire looked like the Elephant Man. I was in a bad spot so I figured I would go to the next exit. No go, the wheel had expanded so much that it jammed against the fender. I had to take off the fender and deflate the tire so that it wouldn't rub against the mounting brackets for the fender. Anyway, had to trailer the bike home, reinflated the tire for picture taking, but by the time I started to take the picture it blew so all I can show you guys is where the tire split apart, right down the middle. I sent the tire back to Mez. I have not heard from them. Oh yea, under 9k miles on tire.
That baby is plumb wore out. It should have been changed long ago. I change mine at 5,000 miles at the most. :confused: I'm on my 5th set of Z6. :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
I don't know why people run there tires for so long ,,, IT'S DAMN CRAZY !! Is it some sort of test ??? Is it a way to say " I get more than you " What is it ?? :eek:
You only have a contact patch of about the size of a coffee cup . Its plain stupid to push a tire
beyond its SAFE limits ,,,,, there's only TWO coffee cup patches on the road people !!!! Judging buy all these tire threads . It seems like some BMW riders are cheap !!!! And a thread like this proves it !!!! 9000 miles !!!!! On a front no-less !!! STUPID !!!
You say you check tire pressure ???? Do you look at the f-ing tread ??? You sent a pic to who for what ,,, look how dumb I am ,, I let my tire get so low on tread life that I allmost killed myself !! I bet you would sue Dunkin Donuts if you spilled Hot coffee in your lap after you went over a bump in your SUV ????
Flame away ,,,, My name is Steven Brunelle ! :D
 

·
"Hey Y'all"
Joined
·
2,239 Posts
Caffeine

sbk12rs said:
I don't know why people run there tires for so long ,,, IT'S DAMN CRAZY !! Is it some sort of test ??? Is it a way to say " I get more than you " What is it ?? :eek:
You only have a contact patch of about the size of a coffee cup . Its plain stupid to push a tire
beyond its SAFE limits ,,,,, there's only TWO coffee cup patches on the road people !!!! Judging buy all these tire threads . It seems like some BMW riders are cheap !!!! And a thread like this proves it !!!! 9000 miles !!!!! On a front no-less !!! STUPID !!!
You say you check tire pressure ???? Do you look at the f-ing tread ??? You sent a pic to who for what ,,, look how dumb I am ,, I let my tire get so low on tread life that I allmost killed myself !! I bet you would sue Dunkin Donuts if you spilled Hot coffee in your lap after you went over a bump in your SUV ????
Flame away ,,,, My name is Steven Brunelle ! :D
Dang Steve, no flame, but a question if I may. You mention "coffee" three times, but I'm sure you had many more cups than that.

Yes, 9k is stupid. For me. Apparently for you. But NOT for everyone. I won't run Z6's. No matter how good they are, it takes too much effort to tell how much tire is remaining. That doesn't mean I think everyone else running them is "stupid".

Oh yeah, my question. Could you please just try some decaffe? :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
I am ready for my third set of Z6's.I like them but I know what you mean about telling how much thread is left.I have a friend who left on a trip thinking he had enough life but ended up with the bands showing when he arrived at his destination.I have learned to replace front and rear around 7k to 7.5k and no more.I never push for too much mileage from any tire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
CABNFVR said:
Dang Steve, no flame, but a question if I may. You mention "coffee" three times, but I'm sure you had many more cups than that.

Yes, 9k is stupid. For me. Apparently for you. But NOT for everyone. I won't run Z6's. No matter how good they are, it takes too much effort to tell how much tire is remaining. That doesn't mean I think everyone else running them is "stupid".

Oh yeah, my question. Could you please just try some decaffe? :D
Sorry ,, i'm ok now . My comment wasn't about any tire,, just about what some TRY to GET out one .
Do the tires that come stock on Harley's ( dunlops ? ) fit our K's ???
I used to get 15000 out of a rear and 25000 on a front !
Seems some would like that kind of mileage on the K ???
I know I wouldn't ride it ,, but some may ??????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
828 Posts
cruiser tires are different

sbk12rs said:
Sorry ,, i'm ok now . My comment wasn't about any tire,, just about what some TRY to GET out one .
Do the tires that come stock on Harley's ( dunlops ? ) fit our K's ???
Cruiser tires are a harder compound that will last longer at the cost of much needed grip. I'm happy with the Pilot Roads performacne. I have a pair of Pirelli Stradas that will be going on next once my P. Roads runs their course. I am curious to see the difference in performance between the P Roads and the Pirelli's.

I would have to agree with CBNFVR about the Z6's.

ONON-
Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
New Z6's

Hi guys:

My pal has a tire changer and balancer, but he works week on/week off, so sometime it takes a little while for an "appointment" at his garage to get my bike in for a tire change. The Z6's on my '98 K were OK all summer long, but I noticed significant wear right after a quick loop out the North Cascade Hwy (Hwy 20, Washington State, USA, Planet Earth), down 97, then back over Stevens Pass (Hwy 2).

On the way to get the tires changed, we rode over some "ground-off" asphalt, with that wierd weave pattern. The bike wanted to go every which way. Not uncontrollable, but kinda twitchy. Going north on Hwy 9, handling felt sort of vague on the curves.

The tire change and balancing went well (dots at the valves, thanx).

We took the freeway on the way back, due to time constraints. East on Hwy 2. Going over that same stretch of torn up pavement, I noticed a HUGE difference. No wiggle. Well, very minimal wiggle, nothing like on the way out. I was taking it easy on the new tires, but could tell a huge difference in handling.

Right now the Z6's are still almost new. Handling is vastly improved. She goes through turns like she's "on rails." A rocket sled.

What I am saying is, these bikes handle so much better on a new set of tires than they do when the tires get into their last 25%... it does not make any sense to run them on that last 25%. The bike deserves better. You deserve better.

Seeya
ATB
 

·
Will ride for picts
Joined
·
1,645 Posts
Tire should have been changed before you left.

Thank goodness you didn't get hurt. From that photo, it looks like that tire was well past its life. Although your mileage will vary based on ride style and environment, I get about 7,000 miles on a front, usually 5,000 on a rear Z6 (I'm on my eighth Z6 rear).

Many folks complain about the "sudden" wear of the Z6. This is pure baloney. The lack of center sipe does makes it a bit more difficult to monitor, but there is a way to tell. Click here for a pictorial description of how to inspect Z6's for tread wear.

I replace my front tire when it looks like this:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yikes!!

Wow, did I get a lashing from sbk12rs. In response, all I can write is, yes, I do look at the f---ing tire tread wear and look for cupping, cracks, anything that is not normal for a tire. Just like we all do. I could see none.
I quess I didn't do a very well job of commnicating that I felt I had a defective tire. I did mention that the tire balloon on one side, like a tumor. I had to deflated the tire to move it onto a pickup. Brought it home and reinflated the tire to take a picture of the bulge. That's when it blew, not while I was riding it. The picutre was to show where the bulge was and where it blew, right down the middle. That's it.
As far as the milage goes, I ride 90% freeway, I weigh 170 lbs with gear on. I know I will be lashed at again, but on the mz4's I would get 12k (front tire only) and the tire would look like rnhall's pictorial description. Anyway guys take care and have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
"Do the tires that come stock on Harley's ( dunlops ? ) fit our K's ???"

Yeah, the Dunlop Harley D404 160/70 rear does fit.

I got one with at about 40% left from a guy that was getting a fatter tire because fat tires look cool - I rode it about 5K and will be changing it this weekend.

It still has 1 to 2 /32nds in the center, which to me is another 1500 to 2500 miles, but I'm going to put a new Kenda/Yokohama on it because the Oregon winter rains are finally coming and I'd like a wee bit more tread for that when the weather gets soupy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Razel said:
Well, maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I get 10k miles on Z6's just as the tread bars are indicating it's time to move on. Pilot Roads were the same way. Sportec M1's were less than that, giving up the ghost at 6k. But, that wasn't surprising, considering what the tire is designed for.

I wouldn't expect any compensation from the tire company at 9k, but I think it'd be worthwhile for both the manufacturer and the consumer to know what really happened.

As always, my 2¢ worth...

OK, I want to know howcum I only get 5,000 miles on a set of z6?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
stevef said:
Not sure how some of you guys do it. This is 4,600 on my Z6B. If I could get 9,000, I'd never change.

Anyway, the Z6 is still the best combination of grip/mileage I've found-I'm on my 3rd set.

Man, you have another 1,000 on that tire easy. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
blue98k12 said:
Wow, did I get a lashing from sbk12rs. In response, all I can write is, yes, I do look at the f---ing tire tread wear and look for cupping, cracks, anything that is not normal for a tire. Just like we all do. I could see none.
I quess I didn't do a very well job of commnicating that I felt I had a defective tire. I did mention that the tire balloon on one side, like a tumor. I had to deflated the tire to move it onto a pickup. Brought it home and reinflated the tire to take a picture of the bulge. That's when it blew, not while I was riding it. The picutre was to show where the bulge was and where it blew, right down the middle. That's it.
As far as the milage goes, I ride 90% freeway, I weigh 170 lbs with gear on. I know I will be lashed at again, but on the mz4's I would get 12k (front tire only) and the tire would look like rnhall's pictorial description. Anyway guys take care and have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
From the pictures you provided, you should have changed the tire a long time before you did. If the hole wasn't there, the tire is shot, worn out.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top