BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have this installation sheet for the ZTechnik chip in an '04 K12RS? I bought the chip, no sheet, and ZTechnik hasnt responded to my request. You can email me and I will give a fax number, or just point me where it is online- thanks!

·
Registered
375 Posts
I was on the same boat with that one. They didn't send me any installation instructions either.

The best thing is to is go to the Rhinewest web site and use the installation procedures for their chip. The procedure is exactly the same except that Rhinewest board has a decryption board that goes in between the ECU and their chip. The Ztech chip just plugs directly into the ECU circuit board. Look for the notch on the top of the chip. That tells you which way the chip plugs into the board.

Rhinewest instructions are here:

http://www.rhinewest.com/installation.htm

I think Rhinewest has the decryption board so you can't make copies. Very smart move on their part. The ZTech chip is easy to copy. Silly them ; )

You should also go to Pirate's Lair web site and buy the tool you need to open the ECU box. It's $12.50. Worth having in your toolbox and will save you some time.

Tool can be found here:

http://piratesk12site.net/chip.htm

One thing that might not be in the Rhinewest instructions is resetting the Throttle Position sensor. Disconnect the battery while you're doing the job. This will erase some of the ECU's stored info. When you 1st power on the bike slowly move the throttle from a fully closed to a fully open position a few times. This will reset the position sensor.

The hardest part is removing the tupperware. Just take your time and lay out all you screws as you take things apart. I never did it before and the whole job took me about 3 hours. I didn't have to remove the gas tank. I just propped it up and was able to get at the ECU without removing the gas lines etc.

I run the ZTech with a Two Bros exhaust and I love it. Perfect in every way. Just mint.

Good Luck -Jack

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
jack69boots said:
I was on the same boat with that one. They didn't send me any installation instructions either.

One thing that might not be in the Rhinewest instructions is resetting the Throttle Position sensor. Disconnect the battery while you're doing the job. This will erase some of the ECU's stored info. When you 1st power on the bike slowly move the throttle from a fully closed to a fully open position a few times. This will reset the position sensor.

I run the ZTech with a Two Bros exhaust and I love it. Perfect in every way. Just mint.

Good Luck -Jack
Just a little point to raise here...when you first power on the bike, don't start it. Just turn the ignition on, move the throttle a couple of times as mentioned, then turn off the ignition.

Might be obvious that you shouldn't run the engine while opening the throttle wide open a couple of times, but...just in case.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
got it

thanks- FINALLY got ZTechnik on the phone and they emailed the pdf file. Seems pretty easy. Didnt know about rolling the throttle after, thanks. Chip is going in with one of their exhaust systems. Looking forward to not sounding like a sewing machine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts