BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have a Zumo 550 on my K1200R and I used the stock power cord that came with the unit to plug into pins 1 and 3 (brown being ground - pin 1 and red/white being hot - pin 3) on the accessory socket (acc skt).

According to many websites and a link on the forums: http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4648&page=1&pp=10 the bike is supposed to release power to the unit after the bike is shut down and then the Zumo asks your if you want to resume on battery. Nobody mentioned how long this will take. I have sat there for 15 minutes waiting for it to power down. LOL…

Well, I am not seeing that and I have followed the directions on the web and I can say I am somewhat versed in basic wiring and understanding how circuitry works.

I am not sure if this is due to a recent update to my bike firmware where they reduces the amperage to the acc skt or the new firmware upgrade for the Zumo unit.

Couple of other items:

If I leave the Zumo cradled (being powered by the bike) and depress the power button on the Zumo, the Zumo turns off but 60 seconds later it powers back on using the battery. Bizarre...

When I remove the Zumo from the cradle it does prompt for going to battery.

Anyone have any insight into these phenomenon?

·
Enthusiast
601 Posts
Titanium5 said:
Hello everyone,

I have a Zumo 550 on my K1200R and I used the stock power cord that came with the unit to plug into pins 1 and 3 (brown being ground - pin 1 and red/white being hot - pin 3) on the accessory socket (acc skt).

According to many websites and a link on the forums: http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4648&page=1&pp=10 the bike is supposed to release power to the unit after the bike is shut down and then the Zumo asks your if you want to resume on battery. Nobody mentioned how long this will take. I have sat there for 15 minutes waiting for it to power down. LOL…

Well, I am not seeing that and I have followed the directions on the web and I can say I am somewhat versed in basic wiring and understanding how circuitry works.

I am not sure if this is due to a recent update to my bike firmware where they reduces the amperage to the acc skt or the new firmware upgrade for the Zumo unit.

Couple of other items:

If I leave the Zumo cradled (being powered by the bike) and depress the power button on the Zumo, the Zumo turns off but 60 seconds later it powers back on using the battery. Bizarre...

When I remove the Zumo from the cradle it does prompt for going to battery.

Anyone have any insight into these phenomenon?
I'll bet that it will eventually go off. There seems to be no way to predict how long it will take to shut down. My GS will sometimes keep that circuit alive for 20 minutes. I would recommend that you leave it alone and see if it eventually turns off. There have been some reported cases of DC-DC converter devices (your Zumo operates on one) fooling the circuit and keeping it 'alive'. I have not run into that with any of my bikes - my GS has a Zumo and a 376C powered off of that circuit. My other two have 2720s. The GS seems to stay on a lot longer with the Zumo mounted, but still will shut off after 10-15 minutes.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Randy! :teeth

I'll let it set there and check up on it after 20-30 minutes.

I'm going to call the tech as well at the local shop and provide any updates on this thread.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've got the same 550 mounted on my 07 GT using the same power feed. I've seen the "resume on battery" prompt only once when I first installed it. Since then I never paid it much attention. I've had it shut down by itself during long gas stops, so I know it doesn't stay on longer than 15 mins or so. On the other hand I wasn't sitting there watching it so I don't know if the resume prompt came on or if it just turned off. Aside from that, I usually turn mine off manually if I'm walking away from the bike to avoid tempting looky-loos to mess with it. I've never had the Zumo turn itself on except when starting the bike.

I haven't had any software upgrade on the bike since I picked it up Oct 06; however, that may happen when I go in for service on Friday. I did update the Zumo a couple of weeks ago - after having it a little over a month there had already been two minor updates.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Mine always shuts of within 2 minutes.

2007 KGT1200 running 7.1

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Mine always pops up the "Resume on Battery Power? Yes or No" when I immediately shut off the key. It powers down a few seconds after that if I don't hit "Yes" button.

Of course, it is tied into the Autocom #1258 Can-Bus Power Relay Switch the dealer recommended and installed when I bought the bike.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, I am dumbfounded. Guess what?! It is starting to work now, just this morning.

Not sure for some reason but I think the bike had to "learn" something was on the bus.

Who knows. I blame gremlins and BMW. :)

Thanks for the input everyone. I just thought I was doing something wrong. Guess not. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
The newer bikes shut off all external power 90 seconds after the key is turned off. It also causes a problem if you use a battery tender (you have to connect to the battery) the plug ins go dead after the 90 sec delay.

·
Registered
486 Posts
FDXKIT said:
The newer bikes shut off all external power 90 seconds after the key is turned off. It also causes a problem if you use a battery tender (you have to connect to the battery) the plug ins go dead after the 90 sec delay.
. . . then the zumo will sense that it is no longer plugged into a power source and shutdown 30 seconds later if you leave it alone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am looking for a 12V car charger that will plug into my Zumo mini-USB port to get power when I do not have the car cradle with me. Are you aware of a 12V, 5A charge that is available for this application?

Thank you

·
Registered
749 Posts
My 08 GT was wired by the dealer, and my Zumo 550 usually shuts off in a couple of minutes, but like you said I get the message would you like to continue on battery power. I said usually, because on a couple of occasions it didn't turn off, and I never got the message about battery power, I just turned it off on the zumo. bottom line I don't trust it, and from now on I will just power off the unit myself. :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had some of these symptoms of not auto powering down, plus not being able to power up (frozen black screen). I took off the battery (important), plugged in the USB cable into the computer, powered it up as a storage device, updated the firmware to latest version, unplugged, replaced battery, and it seems to be working properly. Anyway, those are the first steps Garmin will walk you through if you call them about any power trouble.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Hermes said:
I had some of these symptoms of not auto powering down, plus not being able to power up (frozen black screen). I took off the battery (important), plugged in the USB cable into the computer, powered it up as a storage device, updated the firmware to latest version, unplugged, replaced battery, and it seems to be working properly. Anyway, those are the first steps Garmin will walk you through if you call them about any power trouble.
I'll give it a try since although I keep the firmware up to date I never removed the battery while doing so. Thanks :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just FYI for anyone else who comes across this issue, I just spent a weekend fighting with this same problem on my '06 K1200R. I had my Sirius, and J&M Integratr hooke to the "accessory" connector under the battery cover. It always shut off shortly after key-off as designed. Then I added a Zumo 660 and everything changed. Once or twice the power would shut off normally, other times it would shut off almost instantly following key-off, and moreso than any, it would just stay on...forever. Some checking around with a multimeter showed that the bikes onboard computer seemed to remain fully powered up! (still almost an amp of current from the batt even with all of my accessories off/disconnected-sure to drain the battery in short order). A disconnect of the battery "resets" everything so it's off. But as soon as you turn the key, all will come on again and stay on.

Lots of further checking with the multimeter revealed some pretty good startup current from the Zumo, and it would bounce around in amps during operation. My thought that the starting current was causing the computer to freak out, so I dropped in a relay to switch direct battery for the accessories, and the relay signal to the accessory connector. Problem solved.

My suspicion is that the connector wanting less current seems to hold as it works perfectly now, and after the 90 secs or however long it takes, the bike goes totally to sleep again with no current draw from battery when key off.

Hope this helps out!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts