BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hold down the lower left button while powering up.....

Lots of intresting stuff.....

·
Registered
68 Posts
such as?

·
Registered
68 Posts
what?
did holding that button down put it into some kind of DEBUGGING mode...
not meant to be
that broke it?

i'm sorry about that

let me know what happens please

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ClearwaterBMW said:
IN a diagnostic mode. About 10 to 12 pages of stuff. Including screen diagnostices and other I did not nor would not touch any of it unless I had an idea about what it did....

·
Registered
68 Posts
hazard said:
IN a diagnostic mode. About 10 to 12 pages of stuff. Including screen diagnostices and other I did not nor would not touch any of it unless I had an idea about what it did....
very very cool

·
Registered
26 Posts
Here is a cool link to an interactive/virtual use of the Zumo.......Click on the Zumo in the link and you get to play with the Zumo and see all the screens
Zumo

·
Registered
68 Posts
firstbatch said:
Here is a cool link to an interactive/virtual use of the Zumo.......Click on the Zumo in the link and you get to play with the Zumo and see all the screens
Zumo

very cool link
thanks so much for sharing that with us

·
Registered
26 Posts
Greg here is another great link on the ZUMO that has many detailed user reports......GPS technology is so absorbing and the pace at which Garmin and others are producing new products is incredible........May have to give the ZUMO a try though it is not perfect, with the help of this forum you can know exactly the shortcomings and what it can/can't do before you purchase...check it out ZUMO 550 Forum

·
Registered
68 Posts
firstbatch said:
Greg here is another great link on the ZUMO that has many detailed user reports......GPS technology is so absorbing and the pace at which Garmin and others are producing new products is incredible........May have to give the ZUMO a try though it is not perfect, with the help of this forum you can know exactly the shortcomings and what it can/can't do before you purchase...check it out ZUMO 550 Forum
thanks SO much for THAT link
i have been considering the ZUMO as well

i appreciate the info
i haven't always made "INFORMED" decisions in my life
this will definitely help

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just finished two day ride with my new Zumo and can report I am thinking about sending it back. I have used many Garmin units prior to this one, and in fact still have three of them, and I find this Zumo does not seem to have anywhere near the features/options that my other units have had for years. You can not customize which data fields are displayed so lots of the information that you could access on other units is not even available on the Zumo. You can definitely get rid of the automatic zoom feature. At first I could not even figure out what was going on. I would set the map scale and next time I would look it had changed. I guess it is controlled by speed. I don’t like it, I want to see what I want to see and not what Garmin thinks i should see, or at least give me the option to turn off the automatic crap. I have always used the gps to do a quick find on distance to a point by moving the cursor to that point and you can not do that on the Zumo. I really miss that feature. They can get rid of the gas gauge option, it is totally useless at least for us riders that have gas gauges, or at least make it an off/on option. Maps don’t seem to have the detail, ie. no or very few city names, and this is with unit set at most detail. Maybe you have to download this from map sets but I thought this was already preloaded on Zumo. I have to play around with this. It may not be a problem. It just seems Garmin is following the latest design theory, vis a vis Apple, keep it simple and limit options, which as a gadget guy I like the choices and complexity of the previous Garmin units. As to other feature: MP3 - I have always used iPod and find it much better than any gps unit will ever hope to be. XM radio - I have this on a previous RT and still have Sirius and find both are not very compelling listens,(iPod is the only way to go) intend to let both subscriptions expire. Traffic/weather - cost for subscription is to high in my opinion but then I avoid urban areas like the plague when I tour so seldom have traffic jam problems and I generaly don’t let weather stop me. Bluetooth - do I really need to be on the phone while riding, don’t think so, and spoken directions from unit have never been that usefull. I really can’t complain about these unused features as I went into this purchase knowing I was paying for stuff I would not be using. I do like the big bright screen, the first screen I could easily read while riding even in the sun. I do like the big buttons and the ease with which I can use it while riding (they at least let you turn off the safe mode). I am going to give it some more use and maybe I will find I don’t miss some of the options as bad as I thought but I also may have a barely used Zumo for sale.

Thanks for the link to Zumo forum, looks like a good place to learn and vent

·
Registered
68 Posts
well
that settles it FOR ME
as you know
i already have a Garmin 376C and BMW Nav iii
got rid of my Nav i and Nav ii
still have an old 176C

i don't NEED the ZUMO
and after YOUR review
i won't be getting one
everything you said is what i had feared

that garmin was JUST making the ZUMO for the "TOM TOM RIDER" crowd
you and me......
we know better

but.....
i STILL need to find a "solution" for my Brutale

maybe THIS:
http://www.tvnav.com/60csx.htm
is my only choice for THAT bike

·
Registered
27 Posts
Greg, I have the 60CS. I use it on the Buell and until now have been using it on the KGT. It is a great unit and has lots of extras that us gadget guys like. Also great if you are into geocaching, which I was for a short time. My only complaint is hard to read the small screen while riding. That is why I went for Zumo. Do you have any opinion on the Nuvi models ? I almost went that way but succumbed, regretfully, to the hype on the Zumo.

·
Registered
68 Posts
dehartzell said:
Greg, I have the 60CS. I use it on the Buell and until now have been using it on the KGT. It is a great unit and has lots of extras that us gadget guys like. Also great if you are into geocaching, which I was for a short time. My only complaint is hard to read the small screen while riding. That is why I went for Zumo. Do you have any opinion on the Nuvi models ? I almost went that way but succumbed, regretfully, to the hype on the Zumo.
i was always worried about the WEATHER-RESISTANT nature of the Nuvi models
i confess that i haven't studied them as much as i should have
i think they make great DASHBOARD units
but.....
the screens entice me a lot

a while ago
quite honestly.... i wondered if i could get THIS unit adapted for MOTORCYCLE use
http://www.tvnav.com/7500.htm

that's how SICK i am :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
Coastie said:
if the Nuvi could be used with mapsource 660 for pre-trip planning, I'd get one.
so, you are saying that UNlike the NAV III or 37X series.... you can't do pre-trip planning on the computer with the Street Pilot 7500?

i HATE that.....
just like an IN-dash car unit
i wouldn't be interested in ANY gps that couldn't be programmed via the computer

but.....
i'm sure that the Street Pilot 7500 i pictured above is NOT waterproof to IPX7 standards..... right?

·
Registered
27 Posts
The very first gps I used on bike was an eMap, which I am pretty sure was in no way waterproof and I never found that to be much of a hardship. I would just take it off when it started to rain and then I started putting one of these clear plastic bags you can buy to put cameras/cell phones etc in when you want to take them underwater over it in wet weather. I guess what I am saying is, at least for me waterproof, even though nice to have, is not a deal breaker for me but not being able to program on computer would be even though I am a Mac guy and have always had to use one of my office pcs when ever I wanted to do something with Garmin gps even though that is about to change soon since Garmin is going to make everything Mac compatible and of course they do it just when my Macbook can run Windows XP and now I no longer need Mac compatability.

·
Registered
68 Posts
dehartzell said:
Garmin is going to make everything Mac compatible and of course they do it just when my Macbook can run Windows XP and now I no longer need Mac compatability.

i'm using my powerbook G4 as i type this
i had no idea that garmin was FINALLY going to become mac compatible
that is a miracle

·
Registered
27 Posts
I can not believe you have not updated to the new Macs with intel chips. Do so immediately and then buy parrlelles(sp) and buy Windows XP home edition. Now you can run windows programs, not that there is much reason to run windows crap, but now and then it is neccesary , like in the case of Garmin, at least for a couple of more weeks.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts