BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like the Zumo is the way to go for GPS. Question - the BMW Zumo 550 is about a grand. Go on eBay and find a regular one (or 450 for that matter) for half that. Sooooo, does it just say BMW on it or what?

Anyone go with a stock 450 or 550? Any troubles? Looks to me to be the way to go. I assume the mount you get from BMW and wire into the accessory wire in the battery compartment?

·
Registered
353 Posts
I was told (by the dealer who sold me the unit) that the BMW Zumo has a beefed up LCD, and won't fail with vibration. I haven't confirmed this, except that mine has been trouble free for 1 month.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have had the stock 550 for about 5000 miles, absolutely no problem. My understanding is that the BMW branded unit does not support XM radio, which is a deal killer for me. I have a 4GB SD card in mine for music along with the XM receiver/antenna, so my music choices are just about unlimited. I have mounted the Zumo and the XM "puck" on a Big-Mak shelf, which allows operating the Zumo without having to look down like you do with the BMW handlebar mount.

The LCD screen is great, I really doubt that the screen on the BMW unit is any different or that the unit is some how more resistant to vibration.

The 550 is really an entertainment center with a GPS component. Much improved over the Nav III I had on my previous ride (R1200RT).

·
Registered
311 Posts
I purchased my Zumo 550 about 18 months ago (about 20k miles ago). The unit has been trouble free and the XM radio is a great add-on for about $200 more. Running it through my Nolan N-Com Helmet also allows me to run it with my phone as well!

·
Registered
26 Posts
There are several post on this as you already know. I ended up getting the BMW Zumo because of the mount. However, you can buy the mount separately. And the non BMW version comes with a car mount.

I bought mine at Chicago BMW for 20% off. All three parts cost a total of $808. That doesn't include shipping, which I was told would be less than $10. I don't have it yet because they said it would be a week and a half for them to get it so they could ship it.

I think one good option would be to buy the mount from Chicago BMW and buy the Garmin version for the cheapest price you can find. That way you get the best of both. I don't think the BMW version is different except that it has a logo which you can add, it has the dealer locations in the maps, and it has some unique caps to make it look a little different. It does have traffic module, but it will not work with XM, even if you buy XM separately.

·
Registered
433 Posts
howfly said:
I was told (by the dealer who sold me the unit) that the BMW Zumo has a beefed up LCD, and won't fail with vibration. I haven't confirmed this, except that mine has been trouble free for 1 month.
Er I would call BS on your dealer. Garmin made this as a motorcycle GPS, why would BMW need to upgrade the LCD? I could be wrong, but the crap that comes out of the salesmans mouth sometimes......

ANyway, I have 10k on the bike and about 20k on the Jeep, all with the Garmin ZUMO. No problems. The car mount that comes with the Garmin Generic has a very nice car mount. I had it all hardwired in place.

Unswitched 12V, XM through the hocky puck, and sound through my stereo. Also could do bluetooth calls from my cell.

One other thing to consider since the XM is not active on the BMW, not clear there are as many firmware updates. Check zumoforums.com.

·
Registered
353 Posts
hazard said:
Er I would call BS on your dealer.

One other thing to consider since the XM is not active on the BMW, not clear there are as many firmware updates. Check zumoforums.com.
BS is probably the right acronym. I also suspect your are correct on updates. Garmin shows none for BMW Zumo, and standard Zumo has one that came out a month ago.

·
Registered
438 Posts
iflybricks said:
Looks like the Zumo is the way to go for GPS. Question - the BMW Zumo 550 is about a grand. Go on eBay and find a regular one (or 450 for that matter) for half that. Sooooo, does it just say BMW on it or what?

Anyone go with a stock 450 or 550? Any troubles? Looks to me to be the way to go. I assume the mount you get from BMW and wire into the accessory wire in the battery compartment?
Be careful out there. Some of those $500 Zumo's are grey market. Then you have to buy maps, car mounts, etc. You can find a USA 550 for around $650 plus.
I have been using mine for 3,000 miles with no problems. The screen is not as bright as my old Quest II.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Stock Zumo $650 w/2 mg card and shipping.
use the BMW handlebar mount hard wired power always on.

I am going to change to the BMW connector so it comes on after the bike is running.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
The BMW branded Zumo is an overpriced turd.

1. No XM Radio.
2. No XM Weather.
3. No XM traffic (part of weather).
4. Updates are few - almost like none - compared to the Garmin unit.
5. The dealer list is OLD (i.e. like Fresno, CA dealer is still shown on Blackstone, but they are really over east of the Fresno airport - off by 10 miles or more!). Others are missing. You can find better waypoint lists on the web that are more current and free for the cheaper Zumo.

For all this, you get to pay $400 more for the roundel. Bargain!

Mack

·
Registered
311 Posts
I see that the Dealer information comes with the BMW Zumo but if you go to ZUMOFORUMS they have the listings there for download. I think you get a bit more bang for your buck with the Garmin Zumo 550, at least it is upgradeable to XM if you ever want to go that route. I purchased the standard GPS mount for my Classic GT from the dealer and it was less than $50. I ended up hardwiring it directly to the battery. The unit works great and Garmin has a good history of supporting this device.

·
Registered
91 Posts
opption

howfly said:

Did he fail to mention about the little piece of land that comes with it's very own swamp pond in the back.

·
Registered
26 Posts
howfly said:
BS is probably the right acronym. I also suspect your are correct on updates. Garmin shows none for BMW Zumo, and standard Zumo has one that came out a month ago.
The BMW updates are on the BMW site.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Zumo and more

have a 07 K-Gt finally broke down and bought a Zumo 550 on E-Bay for 690 which included shpping. since i wanted to listen to the MP3 etc, i bought an Auto Com duo 300(389) and the extra wire that connects the Auto Com to the Zumo(89) , i also need a place to put it-Z-tech 85.00, and now i need someone to hook the whole thing up (about 500 at BMW) and yes if i wasn't doing other time filling crap like work- i caould o the wiring in my self(maybe) but if i couldn't get it right in my garage..... then i have bolt it back together, unwire it and take to BMW to have them do it anway--
My oint is that just getting the Zumo is the start of the process---- i am thinking about 1800 before i'm done---- thank God it's only money !!!

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Zumo 550 roughly 20k miles, XM traffic weather, a couple of 4 gig cards, good set of headphones etc etc. No problems except it's way to easy to hit triple digits while rocking out! :D And yes the BMW unit is WAY overpriced, unless of course you just got to have it cause it says BMW.

One thing though, have any of you guys with the XM had the annoying "New Weather Advisory" thing? Every time I start my bike I get the message, and if I click on yes, it always says none found. And I can for the life of me find a way to disable it.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Robert_W said:
One thing though, have any of you guys with the XM had the annoying "New Weather Advisory" thing? Every time I start my bike I get the message, and if I click on yes, it always says none found. And I can for the life of me find a way to disable it.
I've got it and never seen this message. Maybe it is a local weather advisory?

Only annoying thing of XM Weather is how long it takes before it updates or even starts up. I've gone as long as 30 minutes and the thing never pops up on the display. Seems really slooow! Maybe they only update once an hour which would explain the slowness for it to start.

Mack

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have the Zumo 550. About once a month it won't come on and I have to remove the battery, wait 20, and replace it. It's annoying enough that I will send it in for repairs once I get home. Also at high speed/rpm I get a buzz in the ear plugs and lose the xm stereo. I'm sure Garmin will fix it. I love the unit and the features. XM radio has been great to have will riding through the plains states.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Friday said:
I have the Zumo 550. About once a month it won't come on and I have to remove the battery, wait 20, and replace it. It's annoying enough that I will send it in for repairs once I get home. Also at high speed/rpm I get a buzz in the ear plugs and lose the xm stereo. I'm sure Garmin will fix it. I love the unit and the features. XM radio has been great to have will riding through the plains states.
Re: buzz in the ear plugs and losing the stereo..

I had the same issue and after researching it on zumoforums I took their smart advice and did two things.

One: Clean the contacts on the Zumo and the dock with some kind of alcohol wipe or electrical contact cleaner.
Two: Add a couple of skinny strips of Velcro (just the soft side) to the dock to make the Zumo fit tighter in the cradle. You’ll figure out the best place on the dock for the strips. It’s a fine line between a snug fit and the Zumo not engaging in the dock. 

I did this and it works like a charm. I’m not sure if Garmin will release a new dock or not that addresses the problem, but in the mean time the Velcro solution works awesome.

·
Registered
25 Posts
GMack said:
The BMW branded Zumo is an overpriced turd.

1. No XM Radio.
2. No XM Weather.
3. No XM traffic (part of weather).
Just to clarify. The weather is part of XM Traffic, not the other way around. I subscribed to XM Weather first, and it doesn't work. You need XM Traffic.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts