BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Zumo XM mount

4K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Rebus 
#1 ·
How about some ideas on mounting the Zumo 550 XM "antenna"?
Right now mine is mounted on top of the plastic thats right under the windshield. It seems to be working OK, but it would be nice to tuck it away someplace hidden. Does it need to be mounted right out in the open? Pics would be great!
Thanks, Steve

#3 ·
I put my Zumo on a Big Mak shelf, dead center. The shelf replaces the plastic piece that runs under the shield. A couple of pieces of dual lock hold the XM puck in place in front of the Zumo. I'll try to post a pic tomorrow if I have net access where ever I end up. It works great for traveling. If I'm in a less than preferable place I'll remove the Zumo. But at the end of the night I can just put the shield down and there's no way with out ripping off the shield and busting the Zumo mount that either the puck or Zumo are coming off. Quite safe and secure.

#6 ·
This response is for Scott and any one else that might be wondering about this install. I replied to your email but noticed you had a "military" address. I have a couple of friends with .mil addresses and sometimes my emails get sucked into the big military cyber black hole. Anyway, wanted to make sure you got it so here goes:

I bought the shelf from Cyclegadgets here:

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?Item=BMA-SH

The pictures that they show do not show the brace for the left side of the shelf, you will need it. Without it you will have a LOT of vibration but with it it's minimal. Not entirely gone, but minimal. I've got 13k on mine and it's only annoying on really bad roads. Don't know if they have it yet, they should. But you can also contact Mark at Big Mak Accessories and he will take care of you. He has a pretty cheesy web site but his product is good. You could also buy everything directly from him. I didn't know it at the time of my order or I would have. Either way you can't go wrong. Just make sure you get the brace.

The shelf replaces the plastic piece that's stock under your screen.

http://www.bigmakaccess.com/index.html

I mounted the Zumo dead center on a Ram mount and then the XM puck behind it. I drilled out a couple of holes to mount it dead center. If you didn't mind you could mount it off center a bit with holes that are already in the shelf. Though the pictures on that page don't show them, mine had pre drilled slots / holes. Easy to drill though. It's aluminum. I put the XM puck on with dual tape so I can remove it and put it in my truck. Also, where everything is mounted makes it almost impossible to remove if you put the screen down. There's just no room to get your hand in with the screen down. It sits perfectly snug on top of the puck and the Zumo lock. Most of the time I don't worry about either in the places I go. But even if you remove the Zumo the XM puck is tucked down in safe. It's pretty slick actually. With the screen down some one would literally have to bust the screen off to get to the stuff.

If I remember right I had to bend the brace he sent a bit to get it to fit properly. But that was a year ago and I did discuss it with him at the time. Hopefully he has the issue fixed. No big deal really, I don't think the entire install took me an hour. Now that I have seen it I could do it in 30 minutes.

As far as the placement I think it's perfect. My eyes really don't have to leave the road. At least not as much as if it were down on the bars or behind the bag. It's just right there, but not in the way. No interference with the display either. Also I have the Big Mak Tank bag and it flips forward. Easy as cake to gas up. Some guys have mounted GPS's down in front of the display dead center and claim they can use a flip up bag to fuel with no problems but I don't know how. I have yet to actually see it done. My bag would hit anything that I put there.

Lastly....I love the Zumo. Great product. You'll want a good set of noise canceling in ear headphones though if you want decent music. No earbuds or helmet speakers. They just don't cut it.

Anyway, hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions. Post a pic or two when you're done.

BTW....thank you for your service. :thumb:

#7 ·
Headphone or earbud recommendations please

Robert_W said:
Lastly....I love the Zumo. Great product. You'll want a good set of noise canceling in ear headphones though if you want decent music. No earbuds or helmet speakers. They just don't cut it.
Robert,
I have been using a Zumo 550 for three weeks. Her name is Mulva. Was using a Quest 2.
I have been thinking about wiring my head for sound. How the heck do you put noise canceling headohones on with a brain bucket (Shoei Multi-Tech)?

I use the same home-made mount I used for my quest. I will repost some pictures of it some day. It mounts where the OEM mounts.

The Quest 2 has a better screen in direct sunlight. The Zumo has a much faster processor and easier to input addresses.

The Zumo has a cult like following!

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS

#8 ·
ncooper said:
How the heck do you put noise canceling headohones on with a brain bucket (Shoei Multi-Tech)?
Easy, I use a Multitech too. Just flip open the lid first and the grab the straps and pull apart a little while you slide it on. Right now I use these:

http://www.shure.com/PersonalAudio/Products/Earphones/SEModels/index.htm

But I really want a set of these:

http://www.ultimateears.com/_ultimateears/

I'm kind of an audio nut but I'm not sure it will ever be really good on a bike. However the Shures aren't too bad. They are LIGHTYEARS ahead in sound quality than any helmet speaker ever could be. Music is enjoyable now instead of just more noise on top of noise. Think earplugs with music. Having tunes and XM for baseball makes crossing the great basin a lot easier. ;) The traffic alert on XM has saved me some grief on several occasions too.

I took one of those small removable 3M sticky hooks that you can buy at any hardware store and mounted dead center on the bottom back of my helmet. Cinch the earphones down when you put them on then clip the wire into the hook. If you don't the wire tends to bunch up and bind on your collar or what not and it wants to pull the earphones out of your ears. However with the clip, I never even notice they are there. Easy solution and makes for great comfort. Lowers road noise and gives decent quality music / radio. From there it's the perfect length to run to the Zumo. Wire is never in my way. Just remember to unplug it before dismounting! Takes me all of 15 seconds to put on and 5 off. Real easy.

These kind of hooks, only smaller. My local hardware store had them. I put one on a year ago and it's still secure.

http://www.amazon.com/Command-Hooks-Adhesive-Strips-17006/dp/B000FKDEGW/ref=pd_sbs_op_img_5

#9 ·
Huh, can't hear you, turn down the music

Robert_W said:
Easy, I use a Multitech too. Just flip open the lid first and the grab the straps and pull apart a little while you slide it on.
Think earplugs with music. Lowers road noise and gives decent quality music / radio. From there it's the perfect length to run to the Zumo.
You'll want a good set of noise canceling in ear headphones though if you want decent music. No earbuds or helmet speakers. They just don't cut it.
Thanks Robert,
I thought you were talking about over the head headphones, my mistake.

Does anybody make ear plug type speakers in true noise canceling not just a plug.

I want the most road noise protection available. I have always driven with plugs. My hearing is almost perfect and I am going to keep it that way!

I have been a purist and resisted piping music into my head but my soft drive keeps playing the same song over and over for hundreds of miles! "It's a small world"
It might be time to do something about this.

Here's my GPS bracket. Simple, sturdy, out of the way, easy to make and mount, and inexpensive!

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS

Attachments

#10 ·
ncooper said:
Does anybody make ear plug type speakers in true noise canceling not just a plug.

I want the most road noise protection available. I have always driven with plugs. My hearing is almost perfect and I am going to keep it that way!
As far as I know, there's nothing like the noise canceling headphones in a small in ear style. Too much electronics to pack in that small of an area. However, those Shures that I use block out as much road noise as 33db ear plugs and then have good sound on top of it. Some day I'm going to drop the $$ on a pair of those Ultimate Ears. They're supposed to be the best at isolation. And better sound to boot.

Also, I never did order the Sargent seat. Still can't bring myself to think it's $800+ better. I ride 400 to 500 miles now and it's really not too big a deal. I might get one this summer to see though. But 800 bucks? I still think a Lazy Boy gets uncomfortable after too long.

#12 ·
Robert_W said:
Some day I'm going to drop the $$ on a pair of those Ultimate Ears. They're supposed to be the best at isolation. And better sound to boot.
For a lot less $$, you might be interested in the custom-molded iPlugz from EAR. These are my 3rd set of custom in-ears. Just got back from a 3,000 mile trip and they were the best yet.

Call EAR to find a local audiologist and work through that person. I didn't and had to pay someone else to redo the molds after the first iPlugz didn't seal well. Be sure to tell them you're wearing a full-face helmet and that the audiologist uses bite blocks during your impressions.

#13 ·
ntxrider said:
For a lot less $$, you might be interested in the custom-molded iPlugz from EAR. These are my 3rd set of custom in-ears. Just got back from a 3,000 mile trip and they were the best yet.

Call EAR to find a local audiologist and work through that person. I didn't and had to pay someone else to redo the molds after the first iPlugz didn't seal well. Be sure to tell them you're wearing a full-face helmet and that the audiologist uses bite blocks during your impressions.
The price on these certainly are much more attainable than the Ultimate Ears. Is anyone out there familiar with which model would be most appropriate for use on a motorcycle with full face helmet?

#14 ·
Yup, those are pretty cool. The difference being that they aren't as good drivers in the Ultimate Ears. However for strictly bike use, super high quality sound isn't going to be an issue. Dig around on that Iplugz page though and you'll find similar priced products to the Ultimate Ears.

As for what fits, I currently use the Shures that stick out a lot more than those customs so any of the custom molded that sit flat should work just fine.

#15 ·
Iplugz and Autocomm

Has anyone paired the iplugz with their autocomm unit? How did you manage the wiring? The autocomm superpro comes with helmet speakers that are wired to connect to the microphone. I am trying to figure out how the microphone will get hooked up with the new iplugz.

#17 ·
Falconfire said:
Has anyone paired the iplugz with their autocomm unit? How did you manage the wiring? The autocomm superpro comes with helmet speakers that are wired to connect to the microphone. I am trying to figure out how the microphone will get hooked up with the new iplugz.
Autocomm makes a earphone adaptor that connects the superpro to the helmet system but allows for the iplugz or other 3mm (?) stereo pin connector. You can use them in addition to the helmet speakers. I have two pairs of these adaptors as I no longer use autocomm - I'll send you a PM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.