magnets for turn signal pods - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2008, 4:27 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

magnets for turn signal pods

I had the broken basket blues and read of using magnets to hold them on solveing the broken basket broblem, it does. I used 1 inch 1/4 - 20 flat head scews secured 1 nut on the back wher the baskets go with JB weld ,and a nut on the other side to lock in position ,with 1/16 inch thick magnets ( off e-bay about .50 or .75 apeace ) and JB welded ( a epoxy, good stuff )the magnets to the flat headed scews to fit in the drilled out pop rivets holding the baskets to the pods .then drill out the male part on the bike that the baskets accepted.I was going to JB weld one other magnet to the bike where the male parts were but it held so well it does not seem to need any more strength, ( I adjusted mine to slightly preload the part of the fairing in front of the pods for no noisey vibes ) this was done to my 2000 k1200rs no more basket blues , joesflashdog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2008, 5:28 am
Addict

Yes, I put that idea forward and did the work on it. I remember some wag coming back not knowing that our early bikes had these 'Pods'.

I've never looked back. When I remove the plastics it's just 'Clunk-Clik' on the pods. Mmm... must sort out that job advert for a product design engineer at BMW.

Just make sure you do the real test at speed. Not sure if you used the Neodymium magnets or not. I did hang a spring balance on mine and they needed a lot of pull to remove.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2008, 4:28 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

I did use neodymium magnets N48 3/4 round 1/16 thick , I may still epoxy 1 magnet to the bike it would be a very strong holding power then, seems fine now with a stack of them 2 or 3 per attachment point, thanks ,, joesflashdog it's red the fast color
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2008, 4:50 am
Addict

If you read my post, you'll see the circular magnets I used had center holes. I just drilled out the rivets fixing the baskets to the ABS pods and unscrewed the 3 pegs on the frame.

The only real bit of work was making the screws to hold the magnets to the frame because I shaped the ends so they would give some alignment as you fitted the pod and additional support to prevent sliding under wind pressure (all magnets are strong on pull but weak on sliding).

Good job done anyway.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode