Z Technik - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2009, 3:52 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Z Technik

I am sure this is out there somewhere but I am asking again. I have a 2001 K12RS. I would like to change the windshield. I like the look of the Z technik but I am not sure which one would be best. The short black looks really nasty, but will the +2 light tint add more protection? I am 5' 9". Right now the stock shield in the lower position throws the air right below my helmet. In the upper position it hits right at eye level. With the design of the Z Technik does it alter the air flow height? What about the buffeting? Is that improved?
Any comments would be helpful...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2009, 5:02 pm

I looked at the Ztechnik and aeroflow shields and couldn't stomach the price for a piece of plexiglass. I got a deal on a GT windshield for my 03RS. Low position on the GT screen is like high on the RS screen. High on the GT screen is better. I'm 5'8" it's good enough for me up to 100. Above that a better screen would be nice. Good luck
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2009, 9:51 pm
Enthusiast

Z Technic screen

If you have the the "new" style RS, as in late '01 (updated upper fairing, etc.) the Z screen is lousy.

The fit is not the best; I'm 6' 2". It looked like it might cheat the wind a bit better, but I quickly parted with this screen because of the wind noise and poor fit. Just my 2 cents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2009, 9:52 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for the input!!!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2009, 10:06 am

I'm going to assume that you have the early style bike (1998-2001). Same here. Mine is a 2001. The early style has the pop-off signal pods and the narrower shield (and Brembo calipers, and no servo brakes).

I could not stomach the price of the short Z screen, so I bought a used stock screen (for about $35) and cut it off. It looks great and works well. Let me know if you want to see pics.

EDIT: Documented here: Short Screen Project

The taller Z screen is about the same height as the BMW Comfort screen, which buffets like a paint shaker. I cannot imagine that the tall Z would work any differently than the Comfort screen.

The best option is to have a really short screen or a really tall screen. Anything in between will cause increased noise and buffeting. I'm also 5'9". I have 5 screens, ranging from the cut-off stocker, to the standard Aeroflow. If you want to get into deep discussions about windscreens on this bike, then I'm your guy
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2009, 8:23 pm
Enthusiast

I know I am running late on this thread, but it is a slow evening....I agree 100% with Trout. Either low or high. I too tried the Comfort - NOT. Summers I use the stock. For winters I had an Aeroflow standard height, worked great, but could have been a tad better for my 6'. It got lost in the move two years ago (now found and says it wants a ride on the new K13S....project?) so I replaced it with a Tall. Only put it in the upper position on Freeways, outstanding protection, especially coupled with their R12C hand protectors trimmed to miss the tank.

Jim Douglas
'00 K1200RS >135,000 mi, '09 K1300S sold @ 22,232 mi
'93 K1100RS traded up @ 78,000 mi, '85 K100RS sold @44,000 mi, Kawi 650 track bike - sold
http://www.seagullbb.com/
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2009, 9:41 pm
Enthusiast

R12C hand protectors ?!?

I will have to take a look at those.

I have the flat black protectors that are standard on the GT.

The truth is, it's only my head that gets cold on chilly rides home from work at 1 am.

I need to wear the balaclava more often.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode