BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Normal is just an excuse. They should not vibrate, it’s the crap bearing in the clutch that allow it to flop around Causing vibration. It’s one of the reasons BMW only replaces the entire clutch on these bikes, never just plates.
I've replaced the bearing with the INA bearing and the bush as well. I would say it's slightly better, but still quite noticeable.

·
Premium Member
two K1300S bikes, S1000R & Vespa 150 Primavera clown paint job
1,264 Posts
Yes, new bushing when installing new bearing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The biggest mistake anyone buying a K can make is assuming BMW knew what they were doing....because they didn’t...the 1300 should have been the bike that was launched in September 04 and developed from there.

Yes I did say September 04 the launch was such a disaster they all got shipped back to Germany and the golden rule with K’s is avoid the 05/06 like the plague...yea sure their will be some lucky folk out there but not many.

We got lucky here in the UK because we had a Sterling currency crash years back and European bike dealers rushed over here and bought anything with two wheels so early K’s are quite rare...thankfully.

The 07/08 was R&D on the hoof and by which time BMW realised their mistakes and were very busy both modding the motor and the fuelling.

Best solution for owners who want to join the 21st century... ditch the exhaust system...Akra headers and an end can of your choice and a modern day fuel map ie a PC or in my case I went went Rexxer but regardless my 07 1200 R Sport doesn’t vibrate....it did...but not now 😀
Are you suggesting that the exhaust system can cause those vibrations? What exhaust should I get if I ditch the stock one?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Are you suggesting that the exhaust system can cause those vibrations? What exhaust should I get if I ditch the stock one?
You already have the Akrapovic silencer, not sure if the motorsport variant has the matching Akra header or the bmw pipe. It's the OEM system that you want to avoid. I don't remember if ditching the OEM system resulted in a decrease in vibration. My attention is usually focused on hanging on to tf bars for dear life.

·
Registered
502 Posts
It’s drawing a long bow to blame the exhaust system for the vibration. But a new slip on will reduce weight by a few pounds and produce a bit more power. I fitted a Remus hexacone but there was no vibration at all with the standard torpedo like muffler.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Never had a K12s or K13s that didn’t have a distinct vibration, rumble I call it.
Nature of the Beast IMO, as long as everything functions properly ill accept it and enjoy the bike, when the time comes to replace the clutch due to worn out I’ll upgrade the bearing and everything else. Good info here on which bearing to use next.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, my bike has a vibration that has gotten progressively worse. It did not have any vibration when it was new. I have the upgraded bearing for the clutch, but have not installed it yet. All of the K12 and K13 bikes have this problem as BMW used a cheap, unfit for use bearing in the clutch. Even the manufacturer of the bearing that BMW used says not to use a former cup bearing in an application like this, only use a hardened, ground race bearing as the cup will deform and change shape under the loads of the large spinning clutch and open up the tolerance inside the bearing, which allows it to flop around, which makes it progressively get worse.
I test-rode a cherry '15 K13s this weekend with only 18k on it. At 70mph I slightly rolled on and off the throttle to a slight deceleration, and felt a distinct rumble/vibration that I thought was backlash or something in the drive train. After reading about this now, it all makes sense that it's the same deal that you're describing. Very disappointing coming off my '98 K12rs and hoping for a similar smooth machine. No cigar. It felt almost like throwing a Jake brake on in a Cummins!

Did you do the bearing swap yet? Do you know approx how many hours a clutch job by BMW Service Dept. would be?

I can't imagine BMW would let the bearing manufacturer divulge it...but can you share any text as mentioned?

It was a total shock that this otherwise beautiful K13s could have such a disappointing feel. Under power it was smooth as silk, but just loping along or slightly decelerating caused it to growl. In neutral at idle, just pulling the clutch in and out was a hint of that same dry vibration lurking below.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had a similar experience test riding a used example. If felt like some sort of grinder off the throttle. I rode a new example and and it was silky smooth as was mine when it was new. I have not installed the new bearing yet. Haven’t been riding due to work demands, side projects and bad allergies. A sneezing fit inside a helmet is no fun. These bikes have there quirks and the worst is the clutch with the clunk into gear and the buzzing vibration due to the shitty bearing. If you have the dealer do the maintenance it is expensive to own. It is also fairly expensive to do your own work due to all the specialized tools required. But so far the only issues I’ve had were oil consumption and the fuel pump recall. I solved the oil consumption by thrashing the bike for a couple hours on the 5 freeway by doing third gear pulls to redline and coasting down with the throttle closed. It was using a quart every 3000 miles, but after that it tapered off and has stopped. A high HP engine with hard rings and cylinders is difficult to break in on the street legally. I don’t plan on selling mine ever. I wish BMW had continued to develop it and made a third generation. It would have been perfection. But this is close and it’s very unique. It’s funny when a 600 revs up on me and I return the favor with the full Akropovic race system.
The other item that is a pain are the ball joints in the duolever front suspension. It requires a good impact gun, heat and some modified sockets along with a way to restrain the wheel carrier off the bike. Someone put zerk fittings on a set of new ball joints and used superlube grease on them and they never wore out after that. It’s tricky drilling the hole and not getting chips inside the ball joint. But I’m planning to do that.

You have to understand that you are buying a true exotic. In 2014, when I bought my bike they only imported 18 to the USA. There are probably only 5-6 thousand total for all years of the K1200 and K1300 combined in the world. So if you want a unique land missile then go for it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
BMW provide’s the power and acceleration with the performance that comes with its distinctive K bike sound !
Ever heard a brand new S1000RR fire up
or run it down the street ? !
I would suggest you Move on to a GLT or RT that are designed for what your looking for so you can satisfy your need for a silent dull machine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a similar experience test riding a used example. If felt like some sort of grinder off the throttle. I rode a new example and and it was silky smooth as was mine when it was new. I have not installed the new bearing yet. Haven’t been riding due to work demands, side projects and bad allergies. A sneezing fit inside a helmet is no fun. These bikes have there quirks and the worst is the clutch with the clunk into gear and the buzzing vibration due to the shitty bearing. If you have the dealer do the maintenance it is expensive to own. It is also fairly expensive to do your own work due to all the specialized tools required. But so far the only issues I’ve had were oil consumption and the fuel pump recall. I solved the oil consumption by thrashing the bike for a couple hours on the 5 freeway by doing third gear pulls to redline and coasting down with the throttle closed. It was using a quart every 3000 miles, but after that it tapered off and has stopped. A high HP engine with hard rings and cylinders is difficult to break in on the street legally. I don’t plan on selling mine ever. I wish BMW had continued to develop it and made a third generation. It would have been perfection. But this is close and it’s very unique. It’s funny when a 600 revs up on me and I return the favor with the full Akropovic race system.
The other item that is a pain are the ball joints in the duolever front suspension. It requires a good impact gun, heat and some modified sockets along with a way to restrain the wheel carrier off the bike. Someone put zerk fittings on a set of new ball joints and used superlube grease on them and they never wore out after that. It’s tricky drilling the hole and not getting chips inside the ball joint. But I’m planning to do that.

You have to understand that you are buying a true exotic. In 2014, when I bought my bike they only imported 18 to the USA. There are probably only 5-6 thousand total for all years of the K1200 and K1300 combined in the world. So if you want a unique land missile then go for it.
I couldn't get that thing out of my head, so I bought it. I have gotten used to the buzz, which gets worse and constant over 85 but doesn't really bother me thanks to your post. I really love riding this bike. I have only put about 300 miles on it, but notice that it is using oil, so I guess I need to seat the rings like you did. 3rd gear pulls on the I-5...for a couple of hours, do you mean you just hammer it from 40mph to red line, and then coast/brake at idle back down to 40 and repeat? Maybe a track day at Willow Springs would do it, then I will REALLY fall in love with this bike!

I'm not going to sell the K12rs. Finding out about the multiple bike insurance discount makes it ok to keep both. I still love how smooth it is, and I will probably choose it for a long freeway day, I don't consider it to be a "silent, dull." It is my 150mph sewing machine, and even though it's heavy, it turns on a dime. So much better zipping around stopped cars in multiple-lane traffic, it was really weird feeling the difference between the two, like turning a battleship around with the K13s. But man, what a joy to just hear it fire up...

Thanks cstump750! and you too, Sbike.

·
Registered
70 Posts
3rd gear pulls on the I-5...for a couple of hours, do you mean you just hammer it from 40mph to red line, and then coast/brake at idle back down to 40 and repeat?
Yes I did. Still not sure how I didn’t get arrested. But it was after dark and fairly heavy traffic. But in my defense I was frustrated and tired of adding a quart of oil every 3 thousand miles. I had a little less miles than you had, about 7,000 miles Or so. I was going 6,000 miles between oil changes. I also switched to regular oil. The hard rings and hard cylinders that BMW uses makes it difficult to seat the rings unless you put significant load on it, which is hard to do legally on the street. So after thrashing it on the freeway for about 70-80 miles and laving the regular oil in for the full interval, my oil consumption dropped off significantly and is now almost unnoticeable.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am from Sydney
I have just picked up my K 1300 S motorsport variant from Brisbane and ridden 900km home.
The bike is 2016 model and made in late 2015.
First issue I noticed is when backing off the throttle, there's some engine vibration/grinding noise. As soon as I twist the throttle, the noise goes away. It is very noticeable when going 100km/h and above.
The other issue is the bike had some high pitch whistle sound. See video below.

The bike had 17999km on the dash and was sitting in the garage for a very long time. I can see from the service history that it was last serviced in September, 2019 at 16961km. So it didn't get ridden much in the last two years.
The registration already expired, I applied a temporary permit to ride it home.
As soon as I got home, I changed the oil and replaced the oil filter.
I tried to adjust the balancing shaft according to this video
But it didn't make any difference after adjusting.

I haven't tried riding it again since I haven't got it registered. There was indicator switch issue, which I have just fixed by replacing the switch. Hopefully I can get it registered next week and test ride it again.

I googled around the vibration issue and didn't find people having exactly the same issue as mine.
I want to get some advice first, taking it to the dealer would be my last option because here in Sydney, mechanical repair is really expensive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
estas son las modificaciones que yo hago para evitar todas las vibraciones de la campana de embrague de las k1200 y k1300

Hello, I've noticed a quite rough noise, when decelerating from about 4000rpm to 3000rpm along with some light vibration, it's a 2010 k1300s...if i do this repair of your video, can i eliminate this issue? Tks!

·
Registered
14 Posts

Hi, please tell us when you replace the bearing if it solved the problem...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Reemplazar solo el rodamiento no soluciona el problema , necesitas cambiar tambien los muelles de la campana
y si el agujero central de la cesta se ha ovalado por desgaste , tambien hay que ponerle un casquillo de bronce

·
Registered
14 Posts
Reemplazar solo el rodamiento no soluciona el problema , necesitas cambiar tambien los muelles de la campana
y si el agujero central de la cesta se ha ovalado por desgaste , tambien hay que ponerle un casquillo de bronce
Good to know...but what about the original (and new) bmw bush? Is it works to solve the issue?

21 - 40 of 44 Posts